Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #1 
OregonCoast

Divided Tank question, how it is done

We have been reading through the forums and have been wondering exactly how someone goes about dividing a tank to house two betta fish? We would divide nothing less then a 10 gallon. We see a lot of pictures of a mesh divider but is there something that goes between to block the view? Isn't it bad for bettas to flare constantly at each other? What items are used to divide a tank? Is the view blocked for a certain amount of time? We hear a lot of people dividing tanks for bettas and we would love to try it sometime.
OregonCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #2 
KevinPham123

I just ordered some plastic canvas/mesh and black plastic divider sheet suction cups on Ebay about 2 days ago. My plan is either paint the mesh black, making sure that the paint is safe for the fish, or i'm going cover the canvas with laminated paper.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I would think if you covered with laminated paper as you would lose the flow between the two sections. Then you'd need two filters and, maybe, two heaters. BUT...I could be wrong.

To OP: You can buy different colors of craft mesh; including black and dark blue or dark green. Search "Plastic Canvas Mesh Sheets." Here's one place I found:

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...x=0&submit.y=0
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #4 
Stone

most bettas after a few days will stop the constant flaring at each other, after a week or so they will pretty much ignore each other most of the time, they still will have the showdowns with flaring and such but as long as they are not constantly doing it they will be fine
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #5 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I would think if you covered with laminated paper as you would lose the flow between the two sections. Then you'd need two filters and, maybe, two heaters. BUT...I could be wrong.

To OP: You can buy different colors of craft mesh; including black and dark blue or dark green. Search "Plastic Canvas Mesh Sheets." Here's one place I found:

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...x=0&submit.y=0
Thanks for your input on laminated paper lol. I might not do that now.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #6 
Shadyr

Just place a fair number of your plants and decor at the divider to help cut down on the sight of the other side. I have a divided 6.6 bookshelf tank, and my two boys (A VT and a CT) pretty much ignore each other. I do see them flare, but it's usually either at me or at their own reflections when the light is on but the room is dark.

I did the DIY tension type using black craft mesh and the clip on poster frames cut to size. It was a easy fun little project.

Name:  divided1280.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  54.3 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #7 
Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Just place a fair number of your plants and decor at the divider to help cut down on the sight of the other side. I have a divided 6.6 bookshelf tank, and my two boys (A VT and a CT) pretty much ignore each other. I do see them flare, but it's usually either at me or at their own reflections when the light is on but the room is dark.

I did the DIY tension type using black craft mesh and the clip on poster frames cut to size. It was a easy fun little project.

Attachment 168113
Do you have a link for a "how to" on the DIY? I'd love to see that. Thanks in advance!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #8 
Shadyr

iirc this is even the guide I followed! I used poster snap on frames instead of the binders - they seem less brittle/more sturdy. This plus the suction cups to help keep it in place would make for a pretty sturdy barrier.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #9 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
iirc this is even the guide I followed! I used poster snap on frames instead of the binders - they seem less brittle/more sturdy. This plus the suction cups to help keep it in place would make for a pretty sturdy barrier.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
I used the same link to make my divider, I just clipped two craft mesh pieces that I cut out, of the same size, and they can still somewhat see each other, but not very if that helps too.

Picture of the tank & divider
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

We divided mine with Plexi-Glass and then rubbed it down with sandpaper and steel wool. They could barely see each other, but the algae stained the divider green over time and no they can barely see silhouettes.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote