Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #1 
Livelifelaughlove

Caution: Minor Rant!

Do people not research things anymore? it seem like there are more and more people on here *not the people on here before me, the people that have recently signed up... and maybe i was like this as well... I hope not!* But there seems like there are more and more people on here that refuse to look things up before they go out and buy their fish. They think that all you have to do is put it in a bowl or a tank and feed it. nothing else is required. I mean, after all its just a fish right? so what if they die!
Or they ask a question and get an answer they don't want. So they decide to try it anyways, even though people that know about these things explain to them WHY it won't work. But no, they have to go ahead and do it anyways, and then complain when their fish dies or gets sick or eaten... Why do they feel like if they ask a question, get an answer they don't want from more than 1 or 2 people, their feelings or desires mean that its ok to do it anyways...?!?!? Grrrr!

Sorry Im better now. Just a little frustrated.
If i was like this when i came on here, i apologize to all!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #2 
Cody

Agree. And I want to add this:

READ THE STICKIES. Half of the threads I read, especially in the betta forum, have the answers in the stickies. The disease forum never has the needed questions that need to be answered, which is in a sticky. It is annoying.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hey, I understand where you're coming from. Some people do research after the fact and some come here looking for answers. Sometimes we tell them what they don't want to hear. I get upset with petstores who tell people that male and female bettas can live together. I've learned a lot from this forum and I'm trying to upgrade my fish as I go along. 3 are still in smaller containers but I'm working on it. I DO think we need to be careful how we word our advice so we don't come across as being rude.Not that anyone here has ever been rude to me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #4 
Livelifelaughlove

I understand that drama. I guess im just tired and have frazzled nerves right now... life happens.... I hope no one takes what i say offensive on any forum in here. I don't mean to. It just is irritating when people don't research anything before hand. after all, if they are on here they have access to the internet. but would prefer just to come after the fact... and as cody said, expect us to be able to read their fishes mind and tell them what is wrong with them, with no help except "my fish is sick. help."

lol, or they don't use sentences, or use netspeak *sorry, my spelling mistakes are actually from the fact i am really bad at spelling* so you can't understand what they are asking in the first place
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Or they use texting speak, like u r instead of you are. When I first fishsat for my neighbor's betta, I went online to find out all I could about bettas. I found what I thought at the time, was a good website, then I found this forum and found tons of info. I hate to admit it but I didn't read Cody's FAQ at first, either. People DO need to give us more info than my fish is sick, whats wrong.And sometimes people post questions and never come back to see if we answered.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #6 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol, i still haven't read cody's sticky
Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, you better get on the ball and read it! lol Just kidding. :)
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #8 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol... yea yea yea... i don't think i have ever read any stickies before
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #9 
veganchick

I understand, too! I was just at petsmart and there were these 2 collage students who were talking about getting a goldfish to put in their bettas "bowl" it was TINY! So I told them to get the 2.5g cuz it was cheaper anyway! so they did, then they were asking all these questions to me (I'm 13) cuz they were like u no alot about fish. Can any fish go with my betta without a filter... I said no, and they decided to get a guppy so I said she might be ok without a filter but I they needed to change the water often, they were on this isle and I was too, one was like do I need any of this stuf. It was water condtioner, I was like YA! she was like, "but my water is clean" anyway I ended up making her get it! then she was like "I think my betta will really like the guppy cuz I think he might be blind. he never moves. I told her to look at possible diseeses online, so she said she would, then I told her not to get the guppy cuz her betta would get the guppy sick if he didn't attack her. so she was like well I'll just get the .5g cuz he doesn't have any tankmates, then she looked at the other fish tanks and was like "Why are they eating the rock?" I was like "Its a weekend feeder and she asked why they ate rocks again! Anyway, it goes on like that for another 10 minutes and I ended up convincing her to get atleast the gallon sized bowl, then she got some gravel and food (beta flakes instead of the normal ones) That was the best I could do.............

A different story (this one is shorter)
so I was at petco yesterday for a satalite adoption (I was helping with the shelter dogs) and there was this little girl looking at those 1/3 gallon critter keepers, I showed her a tank that was 1.5g and prettier, she said she liked the little one better and then she got this huge VT and the TINY critter keeper. Nothing else, and left. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #10 
OscarsMommy

I did research before purchasing my fish tank, supplies, and Mr. Oscar. Being new here, it has helped me alot...I just hope I am not one of those annoying newbies...

I thought PetsMart's display for their Bettas was sad...Petco's display was horrifying...they even had dead Bettas among the living. They were stacked like blocks one on top of another...again, with the little 'Betta-Bowls' and the Fish-Lady got aggrivated with me when I commented to my mother and said, where are the heaters for these little tanks? Bettas need a warm climate, ya know...why don't I put you outside with no coat on and see how much you like it. That lady gave me a dirty looked and rolled her eyes, whatever...ugh...Sorry...got off topic...so yeah...I apologize if I am one of the un-named newbies of the rants...I just enjoy getting everyone's feedback and advice...It has helped me AND Oscar...

Small litlle montage of stories...he removes his thermometer from the side of his tank and moves it along his tank with his nose(of whatever the fish term is), it is so cute, he is so curious...he also watches movies, too...AND he plays cat n'mouse with my cat, Abbey...it is too cute...I need to get video of it and see if I can figure out a way to put it on the Net...

OscarsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote