Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #1 
cbarger94

How often should I change the water?

Hello,
I have one male double tail half moon betta in a 2.5 gallon tank that is heated. I also have two live plants. I add stress coat to his water when I change it to detoxify it. How often should I be changing his water and how much should I take out when I do a water change? I don't have a filter.
cbarger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #2 
lovefordebbie
Banned

it would be easier with a filter. and im not sure im kinda new
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 
Stone

2x a week 50% change or so, make sure to use a turkey baster to suck out poop and junk off the bottom, but not too good the plants will use it as food,
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 
bettaman12

While stress coat does add soothing aloe vera and helps the fish maintain their slime coat, it does not detoxify ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Nitrates will be lower due to the live plants but ammonia and nitrites build up QUICK in a tank of that size with no filter. The water change should be 2x at 50% and 1x at 100%. This will keep harful levels down for the betta. 100% water changes should never be done on cycled tanks, but otherwise, they are necessary.
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a 2.5g unfiltered tank w/ no live plants except moss ball & I do 2 50%+ water changes per week with a 100% every 2-3 weeks.

+1 with bettaman12 on the stress coat, you should invest in a good water conditioner such as Prime or something similar.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 
cbarger94

I also have bettasafe water conditioner, would that take care of the ammonia and nitrates/nitrites?
cbarger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaman12 View Post
. 100% water changes should never be done on cycled tanks.
This is absolutely 100% not true. There is ABSOLUTELY NO harm in doing massive water changes on a cycled tank. For some reason this misinformation continues to be propagated though, despite all evidence to the contrary.

There are still people that think the world is flat (flat earth society) so I'm sure we will continue to hear this for some time to come.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol. Jaycee is correct, and the reason behind this is because the vast majority of bb live on surfaces like gravel, bio filter, and tank walls, and not in the water column.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #9 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
This is absolutely 100% not true. There is ABSOLUTELY NO harm in doing massive water changes on a cycled tank. For some reason this misinformation continues to be propagated though, despite all evidence to the contrary.

There are still people that think the world is flat (flat earth society) so I'm sure we will continue to hear this for some time to come.

Sent from Petguide.com App
I am sorry. I should of worded this more carefully. Rarely be done in a cycled tank. This is because I have done it before without knowing the consequences. I thought that all tanks needed biweekly 100% water changes. I knew that Beneficial Bacteria live on all surfaces in the tank(which is what is right) I thought that doing the change wouldn't harm anything. I had just finished a fishless cycle. It was a HASSLE taking out the fish and putting them in containers. Then, I removed the tank water. I lugged buckets back and forth to refill the 10 gallon tank. I filled it with dechlorinated water. I then had to wait for all of the fish to reacclimate to the new water temperature. Then, about 3 days later, I started to see signs of sickness (which I did not know what they were at the time) I tested the water and saw that the ammonia levels were too high (above the normal levels of 0). I was shocked as I thought that my tank had been cycled. Turns out that my ph levels, hardness levels, and ammonia levels in my tap water had changed. I guess my city had been adding ammonia to the tap water recently, and along with my partial water changes, that level had built up. I didn't drip acclimate my fish. One of my fish died but the others eventually were treated but I was just trying to say that 100% water changes are way too much of a hassle. There is no need for them in a cycled tank, unless you like all the extra work! (Unless nitrates are severely high!) I do know that BB lives on aquarium surfaces, and not in the water column.
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 
sassyfriend

Red face

Okay I have a question as well. Mom helps me with making water for my fishes we put it in a big bucket and let it sit out until I use it. That's ok to do right?

Also what test kit is best to use? I haven't checked the water in tanks so i'm not sure how to go about doing it the right way. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote