Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 
Janan

Janan's first sorority log!

My girls arrived in the mail today, all healthy, although pale and colorless.

I poured out most of the water that was in the bag they came in and put them each in their own clear cup. I've spent the afternoon slowly adding clean water treated with Stress Coat, then a little while later, pouring some out and adding more warm treated water, repeating until their water should now be clean.

Then I put the cups in the aquarium water, securing them with tape. The picture only shows those in front, but cups also line the back of the aquarium. Six females in all. Then I put a top over them all. It fit perfectly, leaving a little breathing room.

I'm off to the pet store because I need a little more plants. And I need a turkey baster. I think the way I will change the water every day will be to draw it out with the baster, then squirt the clean water back in. Sound good?

A question for those more experienced than I. Is it too stressful to have these cups so close to each other?
Attached Images

Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #2 
Janan

Here are the pictures of some of the girls.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 
Janan

Lights out in the sorority tank. All are calm and still in their little cups. Sweet sleeping babies. I love 'em all.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 
Janan

Trying to get a picture is hard because they won't stop chasing each other.

Sweetheart has claimed the floating log as her territory.

Dodie stops for a photo any time I have a camera.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #5 
Janan

Sapphire and Blessing

I need a name for the big ear aqua girl and the black copper. The copper girl has fins that remind me of an indian headdress.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 
Viva

Omg they're all so cute... I love the DT girl! And the yellow/white fancy is sooo gorgeous. I kept all 12 of my aquabid girls that close while they floated for a few days. Eventually they all escaped one by one though, lol. So I just let them go and explore :D It won't be too stressful on them to keep them like that. After all once they are out of the cups they'll be face to face with no barrier between them.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 
Janan

Feeding time went pretty well! I was a little concerned on how it would work, but it all worked out. I was able to feed them individually and count the pellets. All were fed and none overfed. Lights out, then wafer crumbs dropped in for the coreys to find in the dark.

I do have to say it was a stressful first day. I had a long straw and tried breaking up the girls at first, then realized i was the one most stressed out. Only one is visibly stressed and that's the big ear aqua girl, Queen B. She had clamped fins when I took her out of the box and they still haven't relaxed. I hope and pray it is just stress and not an illness. And hope and pray it's not stress than turns into illness.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #8 
snowflake311

Why not take the dumbo ear girl out of the tank and let her recover in her own tank. Once she is active and happy then add her back to the big tank. That's what I would do. Shipping can be very stressful ong fish.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #9 
Janan

This morning shows improvement in Queen B. She is not as clamped as yesterday and appears to be no more aggressive as the rest of the girls. I will watch her carefully and if I see more signs of stress, like excessive hiding and clamped fins, I'll take her out.

I don't see any signs of nipped fins or battle wounds. Pretty Bird, the copper girl, appears to have split fins, probably due to excessive flaring. I'll watch carefully for fin rot.

Sweetheart, the cute double-tail, has claimed the floating log as hers and is guarding it fiercely. She doesn't let anyone get near it. Is it ok to let them protect their territory? Or should I shoo her away.

At this moment, looking at the aquarium, no one is chasing or flaring. Sweetheart is contentedly inside her log.

Feeding time was a bit frantic this morning. I managed to get the girls pretty well spread across the surface.

I am a lot more calmer this morning. Yesterday, I thought what in the world did I do!!! Today, I'm good. The girls are good. lol
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #10 
snowflake311

Is queen b a hmpk? What was the breeder selling her as? I think mine was being sold as just a hm but I have a feeling she is a hmpk.

They say plakats are a bit more aggressive....
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote