Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
njnolan1

HM betta and Dwarf gourami

I've had my male dwarf gourami with a CT female without any incident. She has since passed so I decided to try to pick out a very calm male betta. I picked a beautiful half moon. I introduced and the first day everything was fine. The betta did a quick show to the dwarf gourami (geeze they look good when they're showing off) and a bit of a chase but ended quickly and they retreated to different sides of the tanks.

A few days later their fins look good but the male betta has been chilling near the bottom of the tank. When the lights are off he comes up towards the top and and does a bit of swimming around But when the dwarf gourami sees him (when the lights are on) he chases the betta away OR the betta just swims away when he sees the gourami.

The dwarf gourami has done a bit of chasing with the guppies when I feed but only when I feed and I've never seen any chomped fins.

Does anyone think I should return the male betta and just get another CT female OR should I give them a few more days to work things out? The betta IS eating and his tear in his fin is healing wonderfully.

Last edited by njnolan1; 11-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
njnolan1

Since I can't edit I will add on.

The gourami only chases when I'm there. He thinks I'm going to feed them. When I'm not standing there, e.g. peaking around the corner, he just chills out and ignores everyone.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

You don't say what size your tank but I would either divide a section for the Betta or I would get another tank for him. There's a six gallon on Truaqua.com for less than $30 shipped.

Maybe it's just me, but if the tail tear was caused by the Gourami, my conscience wouldn't let me return a Betta that was damaged while in my care. I would get him healed up and then see if they would exchange for a female.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
njnolan1

PetSmart only has a two week return policy :/.

Bad news, his fins are very messed up looking. They looked good yesterday. Today they're tattered like a crown tail's plus a fin even looks broken but it doesn't look like fin rot and my water's been testing very clean. There must have been a fight. I removed him but now I have to decide what to do...

Last edited by njnolan1; 11-11-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5 
zombieaddict

It's my understanding that gourami and betta males don't mix well together because they see one another's pretty fins as a strike against their own studly looks. I have a tank with a male dwarf and he is an ornery little man. He bullies the female dwarf if she gets in his business and has instilled a healthy respect of the tiny in the blue gourami that shares his tank. The trio has found a happy middle ground amongst themselves but I shudder to think of what would happen if I put a male betta in the middle of that.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 
njnolan1

I was hoping that they would find a middle ground like the dwarf gourami and the female CT did. They worked great together. He chased her once early on and then one day I saw her chasing him around. Then from that point on they didn't really bother with each other except during feeding time. The dwarf gourami only goes after the other fish when he thinks they're going to get fed and even then it's just a short burst and no fin or body nipping. Just enough to get them out of the way so he gets first dibs. He hasn't even been doing that lately tbh. That's why I though it might work because he's really not that aggressive. I have bright guppies in there with him but I guess because they smaller than he is his masculinity is not threatened.

I'm not going to try again with a male betta but I think I know what happened. I specifically chose a very calm betta who didn't flail about at the sight of any others I placed him near (the others would freak), just a little showing of the fins. He was too calm. He went after the gourami once and then a little later the gourami came back, only the male was too passive to fight back which allowed himself to be bullied. I think yesterday when I was at work the male gourami just bullied him severely causing the fins to tear. I guess for it to work you would need to have a couple of either very passive males OR two that are equally aggressive/passive, much like a sorority of females (maybe that is why the ct female did so well with dwarf gourami?), so the bullying is spread evenly between the two. I know someone who ended up with two male bettas in the same tank. They lived their entire lives (years) without incident. In fact, they lived side by side most of the time. Not that I would ever recommend this.

I ended up returning the male betta. I was thinking about treating him here but then I realized that I would have to get him something small since I'm broke and it's starting to get pretty chilly in here...

Side note:
I will not respond to any scolding, condescending or mocking remarks. So please keep them to yourselves.

Last edited by njnolan1; 11-11-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #7 
zombieaddict

I can see what you're saying. I have a male and female dwarf gourami in a tank with a blue and a lot of fish people raise a red flag when I say that. But they've developed a bit of a pecking order and get along well amongst themselves. Each fish is different so sometimes it's hard to say what will work unless you try.

Of course, if the betta was acting more sluggishly than the others then maybe he was sick when you got him? I just had a go round trying to nurse a betta my friend liberated from Walmart back to health. He was very sluggish which was why my friend had taken pity on him. I moved him into a 20 gallon heated aquarium with live plants, tetra, cory, the whole nine yards and he seemed like he was doing a little bit better but then he just faded. I was told that he'd probably just been sick from the start and there wasn't anything to do for him. I only mention this because you might want to keep an eye on your gourami for a while. The betta could have just been more chill than the others but it's not impossible that something was wrong with him that could be passed on. Better to keep an eye out and be safe than sorry. That's what I'm doing with the tetra and cory now but so far they seem alright.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #8 
njnolan1

Okay, thanks!

I hope he wasn't sick but I honestly think he was just scared of the gourami. He would come up towards the top at night and just chill out but if I turned the light on and the gourami got close he would dart off.