Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #11 
fishyinpa

hehe...i think it was few days till fishy made one...Morado made one his first night i think...elvis took like a week...lol! Fishy hasnt really made any since,well a lil one not to long ago. Mostly just bubbles randomly around. I hope your fish makes a nest for you dq!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope so, too! Bettas are all different. Some are great bubblenest builders and some don't bother. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #13 
Nataku

Of the three bettas I'm currently watching, they each have different style and tendencies with their nest building.
Rescue-betta (red/blue VT) will build them in the far corner of his tank if you leave him alone for a couple days, but they are usually small and he doesn't seem to put much effort into them. However, if you place a section of dried banana leaf in the tank (which floats) he will have built a bubble nest under the entire length of the leaf in several hours, which then spreads out around the leaf.

Black HM - is pretty scattered in his bubble nesting tendencies. He has a strange habit of blowing several very large bubbles (they're almost the size of my pinky nail) and sticking them together, and then going and repeating the process again in a different part of the tank. They don't really last long, and he looses interest in them quickly. He also doesn't care about the banana leaf sections when I put them in his tank, they're fun to peck at and hide under, but he doesn't build bubble nests under them. He's much more active than my other bettas, and seems much more interested in dancing around and flaring.

Xiphoid (Red VT with elongated pectoral fins) This is actually my mate's betta, I'm just keeping him right now in a quarantine tank before he goes off to his permanent home in a 10 gallon of his own. He is the most prolific bubble-maker of the three, although it took him a couple weeks before he fianlly settled down and started blowing bubbles. His nests are positively huge! He builds them up over the course of a couple days, and they cover better than three-quarters of the surface of the tank he's in. I sometimes wonder if he's going to have any space left to breath at once he gets going with his bubbles. It's kind of sad when I do water changes, because I end up destroying his nest, but he's acclimated enough now that in a couple more days, his monster nest will be back.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #14 
veganchick

Mine made one last night! He only makes them ever few months, so its a big treat for me! :)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yay! Was that Alfred?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #16 
fishyinpa

thats interesting! especially about the black hm. Thats exactly the way elvis is! fishy used to blow good sized nests,but hasnt lately. just a few small ones. morado on the other hand,fills half the tank with a nest. do females blow nests?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some females will build nests.Some will even lay eggs and put them into the nest. Mine will blow some bubbles occaisionally but not a nest.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #18 
fishyinpa

oh okay thanks lol
Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #19 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
Mine made one last night! He only makes them ever few months, so its a big treat for me! :)
yep! Alfred blows great nests for such an old man! Stark blows them like daily, and Dixie hasn't ever blown one..... just scattered bubbles!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jaden never did build me a nest after the water change. :(