Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #1 
Kiollk

New Betta Owner

Hello Everyone!

My name is Kyle and I am 17 years old and now a proud Betta Member. Today I bought my first betta and his name is Apollo, named after the Roman god of Poetry and Music! Apollo is a Blue Half-Moon Beta (As seen in my Profile Picture).

I bought him today at Petsmart, and I must tell you I didnt find Apollo, he simply found me. My intent was to go into Petsmart today and buy a tank for my betta fish and wait until tomorrow to actually purchase the Betta, but when I was browsing through the Bettas I found Apollo and I could not resist him.

So far Apollo seems to be a little shy, but thats probably because we have barely known each other for more than an hour :p. I have a quick question, I bought a tank and I have to wait 24 hours before I can put Apollo in the tank, is it okay if he stays in the container I bought him in for the time being? Also, should I feed Apollo now after I brought him home from the Petsmart or did they already food him?

I am excited to be able to share all my experiences with Apollo with other Betta fanatics like me :) I am going to enjoy it here!
Kiollk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

Welcome to the forum and the glorious and fulfilling hobby that is to be a betta parent. What size of tank do you have for Apollo?

Yes he will be alright in the container for one more day.

I would feed him just in case because some stores only feed them once a week.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello Kyle welcome to the forum a pleasure to have you join us. Apollo sounds awesome. To answer your questions you can leave him in the container you bought him home in he should be fine for the time being if they changed the water today in his container that is. What type of tank did you get for him ?

You can also try and feed him but some Bettas will not eat when you first bring them home. My guy didnt eat the first night I got him but did the following night when I offered him Betta pellets. He also stayed in his little container for around 24 hourse since he was a gift and I was not home till the next day to get him set up in his tank and he did fine. Looking forward to hearing more about Apollo, I am excited for you this takes me back to a year and a half ago when I got Perseus Best Wishes to you and Apollo !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

+1 Perseusmom
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #5 
Johnboy33

Welcome Kyle!! Massachusetts here as well!
Johnboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #7 
Kiollk

Thanks for such a warm welcome everyone! I already feel like Im at home here on this forum and I joined only 4 hours ago :). For Apollo I bought him a 2.5 gallon tank that comes with a filter. It was kind of a betta starter type of tank. It is made for 2 as it came with a divider, but I feel like if I had two i wouldnt be able to focus on Apollo like I would want, and besides I want to him to have the best living space available so he is happy! I like to think of Apollo as my son :p!

Right now I have his tank going through that 24 hour stage where I am supposed to keep him out of the Tank. I already added the water conditioning I think it is called to clear it of chemicals. I did in fact feed Apollo 3 pellets at around 830. He was first hesitant of it but after a few minutes went by he actually ate it! Since I bought him I feel like he stares at me, and as weird as it may sound I kind of like it! We already might have a little bit of a connection! :)

Just a quick question about my tank however. I bought colored gravel for my tank and as I said it is a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter. How often would I actually need to clean it? The lady at Petsmart told me once a month but I had a hard time believing that. I also did indeed buy a heater for the tank, but I am waiting to install that untill Apollo is in the water. Is that a good idea?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
Johnboy33

IMO, gravel is more of a pain than its worth when it comes to 100% water changes, but u just have to rinse it with really hot water really well. A 2.5 gallon tank should be get at least a 50% water change every 4 days I believe Is what's recommended as far as the heater you should set that up now, so when you acclimate Apollo to the new tank it will be the proper temperature for him, frequent and drastic temp changes can be very dangerous, you have to slowly introduce him to the new water. And your temp should be between 72 and 81 degrees and you defiantly shouldn't divide a 2.5 gallon for 2 bettas. 2.5 is the smallest recommended for just 1 beta while a 5gal is ideal. I'm pretty new at this also but I've learned a TON from this forum in just 2 days! Good luck!!! Where abouts in mass? I'm in the Lowell area!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #9 
Kiollk

Thank you for the help! I live in a town next to Milford that I am sure you have never heard of! Its called Hopedale!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #10 
Johnboy33

Ummmm I grew up in Bellingham. Lol