Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1 
CrazyFishDude

Question Best Options for Betta?

So my dad and stepmom said I could get a betta (well, really any fish, but quite honestly I doubt I'd have room for many other fish). I haven't actually owned a betta in awhile, and there are many different opinions on how to care for them, so I have some questions.

First, the only tank I have is a tank that is slightly over 1 gallon in my bedroom. It has water, a crappy air pump, a light, and a marimo ball taken from an old setup. Provided I could filter and heat it (and there are filters and heaters I've found for tanks this size), would a single betta with no tankmates be healthy and thrive in this setup, or should I just get a bigger tank? I'm really leaning towards getting a bigger tank, like anywhere between 1.5 and 5 gallons with a filter and heater, but I don't know how my parents will react to me wanting another tank. My budget is a little over $50 I believe. What could I get, including the fish, with that? I really trust a lot of the people on this site, and I know I'll get some sound advice here, so thanks a lot, btw.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

In a 1G, it's a bit too small for a filter; especially if it might make too much current or whatnot. Whether it's a sponge filter, nonetheless. I think you'll just do better on a bigger tank, less to clean more to swim. :D

Kritter Keepers are really great and cheap. Get large or x large but the plastic wasn't made for water so you'll have to be quite careful in the x large. KKs are around $8-$15 depending on where you live. Or if you want a glass 5G, then that will be around $15.

You'll be able to have a sponge filter and a heater in there. Sponge filter is like $3-$7. Got mine online, I think Hagen is a good brand. For the heater, I use Hydor THEOs but you can also get Visi-therms, Aqueon, and Jager. The heaters are around $20 or so. And then for decorations.. You decide. (: I vote plants, though. And I think that will fit your price range.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Wal-Mart has a nice 5 gallon with a fluorescent hood and filter for $25.00. You'd need a heater and thermometer. If you can get an adjustable 25 watt, that would be best.

Delivery is free to the store or 97 cents to your home.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 
Shadyr

1 is about as small as you can go, and you'd be doing a lot of water changes on it. If you *can* go bigger, it would be A) better B) more fun to decorate and C) less water changing.

A 2.5 is pretty good (I have 3 in that range), a 5 would make a betta quite happy. If you could catch the $1 per gallon sale at Petco, a standard 10 would let you expand with a few more fish or divide the tank in the future. 10Gs are not very big. (I had a 10G when I was a teen, loved it!).

If you can, get an adjustable heater that lets you set the temp - you'll probably want to get that online - in store, that will blow half your budget right away. Filter's are not really needed for smaller tanks, but 5+ you should.

The mossball will be a nice addition no matter what tank you end up with.

Happy fish-planning!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I bought this one. Well, I bought three for just a few dollars more because I needed them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Watt-Aqua...ht_1760wt_1033
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #6 
CrazyFishDude

Wow, those were a lot of quick responses! Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice I've gotten already! I would definitely take you up on the 10 gallon, Shadyr, but sadly the only space I have for a tank is my dresser, so a 2.5 or 5 would probably be the biggest I can do. Anyway, I'll see if my parents are ok with me upgrading to a bigger tank and go from there.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #7 
Shadyr

I have a 6.6 on my dresser, but then again, I *am* one of the parents It's probably actually a bigger footprint than a 10.

The 10 I had back in the day had a cheapie black metal stand, so it was free from the constraint having to sit ON something that was already part of the room.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #8 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
I have a 6.6 on my dresser, but then again, I *am* one of the parents It's probably actually a bigger footprint than a 10.

The 10 I had back in the day had a cheapie black metal stand, so it was free from the constraint having to sit ON something that was already part of the room.
Oh really? Well that gives me a bit of hope then lol. Yeah I literally have nowhere else to put a tank, and me sharing my room with my brother doesn't help at all... So I'm limited to my dresser. I attached a picture of my dresser with the 1 gallon on it as a comparison. What sizes do you think would be ok on this? BTW, I plan on completely clearing this dresser of everything except a tank and the lamp for obvious reasons...
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 
Kittiesdragons

You could put a 2.5 or maybe even a 5 up there easy :)
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #10 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittiesdragons View Post
You could put a 2.5 or maybe even a 5 up there easy :)
Oh sweet! I guess I'm more paranoid about weight and have these weird visions of the dresser collapsing if the tank is too heavy lol... I'm insane. But if a tank that size would fit and its weight could be supported then I'll try to convince my parents to let me get a bigger tank. I'll start a budget list to see what I can get (I'm gonna assume the fish is $6 for the sake of finding out what I can afford).

Tags
betta, budget, questions, tank size