Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 
JellOh

Idiot!

Well, I just got my first betta fish via mail, and he's stunning. The only thing is he was supposed to come next week. There wouldn't have been a problem if I actually had the tank he was going in to. Also, I'm going away for three days tomorrow. Now what? He's currently acclimating to a tubberware food storage thing with a heater strapped to it, but what do I do for the three days? Can he survive the stress of shipping, then flopping around tanks, and then going hungry for 3 days? Grumbles.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

congrats on the new guy! I think if the tupperware container is big enough & heated (as you have stated it is) & you feed him before you leave; he should be fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 
Viva

Gah, that's annoying :( I'm sure he'll be fine for three days, it isn't too long. Just feed him good before you leave and change his water so it doesn't get too bad in his small container.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 
Kittiesdragons

I'm sure he'll be fine :) I have a sterilite 20 L tub set up as a tank because I can't afford to buy a big true tank and I see little point in wasting money I don't have when I can spend less and get more space in a sturdy container. Is it perfect? No, I'd like to be able to have a real tank but for the love of fish and my wallet this is the way to go when you can't afford anything else!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 
JellOh

Thank you guys for putting my mind at ease. It would have been completely understandable if I hadn't specifically messages him telling him to wait on shipping. Even after if he was accidentally shipped he could have told me so I was awake and there to pick him up. I'm sure the hairdressers at my mothers salon were a little surprised to open up a box and see a poor fish. I'll try and get pictures for you guys soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

How hot is your room , it summer now and very hot. I would not leave the heater on. Is it new heater? I would also test the heater in a bucket of water for 24 hrs before putting it in the tank. Let's you find out if it will hold a decent temperature , or if it is defective and also not leaching anything.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #7 
Kittiesdragons

Awww I'm sure the fish was probably a little shocked too! LOL That is a bit frustrating though for sure...
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #8 
peachii

I'd be afraid to leave a new fish and heater in a tupperware (plastic) container for 3 days without being able to check on it. It's summer, just turn your air conditioner to like 80 when you leave and he should be fine.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #9 
Viva

If you have a bucket you use for cleaning you can put him in there temporarily so that the water doesn't get too warm with the heater. Otherwise I just wouldn't use a heater if the container is less that 1.5 gallons
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #10 
JellOh

I ended up digging out a PetCo gift card and getting a 5.5 gallon tank for him. I've thrown in some bits and bobs along with a few plants. He'll go in there once the temperature is correct. It actually will work out ok with the 5.5 because I've been hoping to get my girl a bigger tank and she can have the 5.5 when my 10 gallon divided is finished cycling. If it ever finishes cycling. He seems ok. I got him to eat a few pellets. Ge is just kinda swimming around checking everything out. The only thing I noticed is that he would go after pellet and miss. I hope this is something to do with the shallowness of the tubeware (its about 3" high) and not something that will persist.