Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Exclamation Am i doing this right?

Ohkay, i wanted for someone to check me on doing this so..here is goes.

With the cycling of a new 10 gallon tank using pure ammonia. So if i calculate all h*w*depth i got 3189.375. I rounded up to 3189.38. I put this in ( http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm ) and it said for ml 635.43. So in my bottle i would put 500+104 ml because my mom said that was it, so i filled a measuring cup with WATER poured it into a bottle and marked were to fill up the bottle with ammonia. The Gatorade (the huge one) is half way filled..that is a lot...is that normal???

Now here is how i see this cycle. Please fix me if i'm wrong! Also sorry for the length of how this will be.
Section 1
The first day if pour the ammonia (measured) into the tank use my freshwater master test kit for ammonia and see if it goes up to .25 ppm.

Section 2
Refill the tank with ammonia if the ppm has gone down and replenish it.
If i see nitrites go up really high this is ok and test for nitrates, then keep filling the tank with the SAME amount of ammonia from beginning to end. And repeat until they all go to zero for the testing kit.

Section 3
When ammonia goes down to zero, same for others, add ammonia half the amount you had used. Pour that in and when everything goes down to zero your tank is cycled.

Is this right? Did i mess up somewhere? Thank you for reading this and helping me figure this whole thing out. I may have made myself a little confused when writing this so..thank you.

Last edited by FishyFloorzack; 07-14-2013 at 03:01 PM.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Why don't you raise the ammonia to around 3ppm-4ppm? If there aren't any living organisms in there, you'll want to do that so the tank would be ready for new fish. You only want the ammonia .25ppm if there are any fish in the tank whom produce the ammonia their own; but you're doing a fishless.

The tank won't be fully ready until the BB can eat 3ppm-5ppm of ammonia in a day. You'll also have to watch for nitrates. And change the water whenever the ammonia or nitrite is over 5ppm during the cycle.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 
FishyFloorzack

I have Stress Zyme + would this help? Or make it worse? So i doesn't matter how much ammonia i put in as long it doesn't go over 5 ppm? Right?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

What does the stress zyme do? And yes, it doesn't matter as long as the ammonia stays below 5ppm.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #5 
FishyFloorzack

It helps with beneficial bacteria.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #6 
FishyFloorzack

My filter has a slide in it to help with beneficial bacteria, so i was hoping stress zyme + would help too
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

The slide (filter cartridge) is where the BB is supposed to form, alongside with the substrate and decorations. The stress zyme won't help as much, since the BB already died in it. Dr. Tim's brand is better, buy you'll have to buy online if you want it.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #8 
FishyFloorzack

Ok thank you!