Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 
Namialus

Moss Balls

I saw moss balls at Petsmart the other day and I was wondering:

-What are their advantages and disadvantages?
-Do I just put one in my tank, ball and all?
-Do they make the water dirty?
-How do they help?
-Are they just real plants?
-Any special needs?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #2 
miscanon

They are real plants. They're a type of algae, not really moss. (They're fuzzy, not slimy, too.) The currents in their natural habitat are what cause them to grow in a sphere. They're pretty hardy, very difficult to kill, and they grow really slowly.

I've heard they help stop other algae from growing on the tank walls. Some fish will eat them, but betta fish like laying on them!

You need to take it out of the cup it comes in, gently squeeze the water out, then rinse it under a gentle stream of water, then plop it in to your tank.

Every once in awhile they need to be rolled over in the tank so they don't get brown on the side they sit on. About every one to two weeks you need to take it out, gently squeeze the water out of it, roll it in your hands to help keep it in shape, then run it under some water.

EDIT: Some places try to pass off java moss wrapped around a weight and tied to it as a moss ball, but to my knowledge, Petsmart's are legit.

Last edited by miscanon; 07-11-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: forgot some info
miscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #3 
Namialus

So they'll help with algae?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #4 
OregonCoast

yea they do actually! Google the name Marimo Ball and you will come up with a very unique and cool story to read about them! I have two in my 7.5 gallon cherry shrimp tank and they do help keep the algae from getting out of control as they suck in the nutrients that algae needs to grow.
Word of caution tho: They have a tendency to be magnets for all the dirt when doing water changes and stuff. They do have to be cared for as in they need to be squeezed out every so often. People actually give these things names!
OregonCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #5 
Sylverlilly

I just got mine too. Personally I decided to let mine sit I clean tap water for a week at least though others suggested not to worry about it. Why? I'm paranoid. I read there is a pissibility they can have snails snail eggs you can't even see and possibly some type of worm. I'm surethey don't always have parasites but I'm playing u t safe. Rinse in really really warm tap and keep in cup I'm doing a week. Squeeze it daily new tap water. But its adorable and I hope my fishy man will approve once I add it.
Sylverlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 
Sylverlilly

I just got mine too. Personally I decided to let mine sit I clean tap water for a week at least though others suggested not to worry about it. Why? I'm paranoid. I read there is a pissibility they can have snails snail eggs you can't even see and possibly some type of worm. I'm surethey don't always have parasites but I'm playing u t safe. Rinse in really really warm tap and keep in cup I'm doing a week. Squeeze it daily new tap water. But its adorable and I hope my fishy man will approve once I add it.
Sylverlilly is offline   Reply With Quote