Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #1 
JamieL

Random question about bettas in stores

I was in petco yesterday buying gravel, so I was checking out the bettas and they have the cups on racks with all the cups right smack up against each other, and so many of them were flaring like crazy. I noticed two red crowntails who were SERIOUSLY going at it, and i kept going back and looking, they never stopped the whole time i was in the store. isn't this stressful for the fish? I notice in my local petsmart the cups are on a shelf, but there is some space between them so they don't seem to notice their neighbors. I felt so bad for these two, I wanted to take one of them home just so they could relax! it just doesn't seem like that could be good for them to be so fired up like that constantly without a break.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They'll be okay, after a day or so they'll pipe down. It's common for them to do that, even if they are spaced apart but it's most likely that they are new or one of them is new. Once they realize they can't get at each other, they'll settle down and in the store it will be faster since the temp is cooler which slows their metabolism and they'll end up just sitting there like the rest of them.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yes its stressful for the fish. Even if there is a space between they can still see each other & the do flare. It depends on the individual Betta though.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 
JamieL

I can't stop thinking about this red guy. He had the craziest looking beard, I'm going to have to restrain myself to keep from going back for him!!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
I can't stop thinking about this red guy. He had the craziest looking beard, I'm going to have to restrain myself to keep from going back for him!!

(chanting) Get him. Get him. Get him. I'm a horrible influence.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
(chanting) Get him. Get him. Get him. I'm a horrible influence.
lol
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 
JamieL

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I'm arguing with myself in the store...ok...ok...that 3 gal critter keeper is only $10....$5 for gravel...I already have food/conditioner/etc...no big deal...wait, no, my husband will kill me....nah, it'll be fine...

like a little fish junkie.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I'm arguing with myself in the store...ok...ok...that 3 gal critter keeper is only $10....$5 for gravel...I already have food/conditioner/etc...no big deal...wait, no, my husband will kill me....nah, it'll be fine...

like a little fish junkie.
There you go! Tell your husband it could always be worse. You could be bringing home hoards of Mastiffs, or Great Danes.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
There you go! Tell your husband it could always be worse. You could be bringing home hoards of Mastiffs, or Great Danes.
Again, lol!

I think you should get him, you'll be thinking about him forever and you'll regret not bringing him home!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #10 
JamieL

Oh, oh, I know...the other fish is our daughters fish, l need my own fish! Yeah, that's it!