Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 
KCalNeon

Questions

Hey everyone, I had some questions on tank maintenance. I'm planning on getting a betta in a couple months (5-6) so for now I'm just gathering a bunch of information.

1) what's the startup cost for a betta? I'm planning on getting a 5 gallon tank and other accessories. (Filter, heater, conditioner, gravel etc. etc.)

2) Is a tank with life plants beneficial? I originally wanted silk plants, but I read that life plants are much more beneficial and Bettas seem to like them more. So I'll probably do a mix of live plants and silk plants. More live than silk.

Can I still keep gravel with live plants? I'm interested in live plants that need hardly any maintenance, easy to keep up with, and won't die on me. I don't want live plants that are too hard to take care of. Any suggestions?

Also how do I maintain live plants and silk plants? Do I need to wash the silk plants, and do you have to do anything special for live plants?

I'll update this thread with more questions if I have them.

Thanks everyone!
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 
KCalNeon

Also what's the proper way to clean a 5 gallon tank once you have your betta in?
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there! Glad you're preparing before hand! Wish I had lol

what's the startup cost for a betta? I'm planning on getting a 5 gallon tank and other accessories. (Filter, heater, conditioner, gravel etc. etc.) It depends really, but it usually ranges from about 150-200 I believe depending on what you buy and what you upgrade. Say if you went to yardsales and found a 5 gallon there for 5 dollars rather than the 15 just for the tank at the store, you know? If you can, check yard sales and craigslist if youre in the usa often to see if you can find anything cheaper! So in that case it would most likely be under 100 if even

Is a tank with life plants beneficial? I originally wanted silk plants, but I read that life plants are much more beneficial and Bettas seem to like them more. So I'll probably do a mix of live plants and silk plants. More live than silk. Yes they are! They help improve the water quality while keeping your fish safe from most ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. They act almost as a buffer against those things for your betta. The more you have the better but yes, if you did a combo that would be awesome for your boy!

Can I still keep gravel with live plants? I'm interested in live plants that need hardly any maintenance, easy to keep up with, and won't die on me. I don't want live plants that are too hard to take care of. Any suggestions? Yup! I have gravel in some tanks and sand in others and sometimes I feel like it's easier to plant plants in gravel than sand XD lol And as for low light, easy growing plants here are a few: Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Anacharis, common Crypts, rotala, ludwigia, water sprite, water wisteria, bacopa, hornwort (any 'wort' plant usually), and vallisneria's

Also how do I maintain live plants and silk plants? Do I need to wash the silk plants, and do you have to do anything special for live plants? As for the silk, you won't really have to wash them or anything, rinse before you put in but after that you can just leave them and move them when you want to. If they get algae on them, just rub it off with your thumb and they'll be fine

And for the plants, if you are able to get a small Compact Fluorescent Light or CFL that's 6,500K and about 9 or 10 watt's this will really help with your plants and will make your tank brighter! but the incandescent lights that usually come with a tank just kind of suck and don't grow anything well so that will be one thing you can do. And if you wanted you can get some Flourish Comprehensive (NOT Excel) by SeaChem. It's a liquid fertilizer that works really well! I use 1 drop per gallon once a week and my plants have been 10 times better! Also root tabs are nice to use but not necessary, I use the API ones and you just stick them in the gravel and they slowly release fertilizer for your plants over a month or two which is nice, especially for the plants that you plant in the gravel as some can be floated.

Some of those plants I mentioned can float which are; Water sprite, anacharis, hornwort and Java moss. Also you can get other floaters like Duckweed, giant duckweed, and frog-bit but be warned that duckweed is invasive and giant duckweed is twice as invasive so once you have it in a tank it might be hard to rid of it all if you decide you don't like it. But they won't multiply as fast in faster moving waters like in my big sorority tank, I have a nice bunch but it hasn't taken over the tank in the last 6 months ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote