Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

Ornament warning!

DO NOT BUY THIS ORNAMENT Penn Plax "Tribal Skull".

I bought this a few days ago for one of my bettas, and within a few days, this ornament went toxic and killed her.

When I brought it home, I rinsed it in clean, hot (scalding hot) water before placing this in my son's betta's tank.

a few days later, the whole tank was slimy, and she was pineconed. I didn't know definitely that it was this ornament, because I had bought this in a different color a few years ago without any problems at all. I rinsed everything down (again, scalding water) scrubbed all of the slime off, removed the gravel and the other ornament. Started her on Epsom. 2 days after that, I went to change her water again, and she was dead. I took all of the decor that I had left her, and only this was slimy again... Hmmmm.... I think I've found my culprit.

I called the local store that carries this product, and they've pulled it from the shelves, I will be calling Penn Plax tomorrow.

I will be posting this on every aquatic pet group/forum that I'm on. I don't know if it's all the colors, or just red, or if I just got a bad one, but better to be safe than sorry.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #2 
registereduser

PennPlax has a pretty bad rep, doesn't it? This isn't the first ornament of theirs to get a bad review. Sorry about the kid's fish, hope he's not too upset about it
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu

So sorry. It's bad enough when you lose your own fish; but for your child to lose one is ten times worse.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 
TheTrojanBetta

I'm sorry about your son's fish. Thanks for the heads up.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

Thankfully, three year olds are fairly easy to distract.

He was pretty upset about Suzaku, but I asked him if he wanted Norbert, and he was so excited about that, that he forgot about it. (When his memory and attention lasts longer than a few seconds, we'll teach him about grieving for non-human family members).

I went to send Penn Plax's customer service an email, and conveniently, their address doesn't work... Any guesses on who will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow?

Meijer (because I'm in the Great Lakes Region) was the store that I purchased this piece of junk from, and when I called them to explain the situation and get them to pull it from the shelves, they gladly did so, and expressed condolences for Zack's loss.

I really feel like I let Suzaku down.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 
TheTrojanBetta

It's not your fault, these things just happen sometimes. Think of how many fish you may have saved, even at the loss of your one, by bringing this issue to the store and the company. I'm sure Suzaku had a good life, and you loved her. That's more than a lot of people give their animals, so don't feel bad!
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Thank you, TheTrojanBetta. I appreciate the kind words. I'm hoping that we can save other fish from this. As dramatic (or Month Python) as it may sound, her death won't be in vain, I just wish I didn't have to lose her to get the dang point!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 
thisismydesign

I'm having trouble with the same ornament (only it doesn't have the designs). It's just the normal skull color, not red, but in a day or two white-ish slime covers the whole thing.

I put it through a vinegar bath, that didn't work, and today I put it in a bowl of half hydrogen peroxide half water then rinsed it in hot water.

Now that I've heard your story I'll keep a closer eye on it. Unfortunately it's the only human skull available to me without pirate decor coming with it. I have a fish named Hannibal Lector so I want a skull for him.

Sorry about the fish, I'd be devastated, but thankfully he's young and can forget easily.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

there are plenty of skull decorations. I'm just determined to avoid Penn Plax for as long as I feel is necessary.

If it is sliming, I'd take it out. Hannibal's safety is more important.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #10 
thisismydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
there are plenty of skull decorations. I'm just determined to avoid Penn Plax for as long as I feel is necessary.

If it is sliming, I'd take it out. Hannibal's safety is more important.
I'm giving it this last chance. It's in a 10 gallon tank with 3 ottos and an adult betta (baby Hannibal is in a 3 gallon so he can get bigger and not be able to slip through the divider. I should be able to tell if the slime is back within 24-30 hours.

I just don't have a decent skull near me that's not a pirate, so I'm trying to salvage it. If I can't I'll have to order online.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote