Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Five Gallon Set Up

So I had to get Dexter his own aquarium. I chose a 5.5 for space reasons. For anyone interested this was the final cost. Light price is variable but this will be a heavily planted tank so I'm using the Finnex Stingray @ $33.00 + $6.00 shipping. Finnex lights are cheaper at www.aquavibrant.com than Amazon.

$14.00 PetCo 5.5 Glass Aquarium
$ 9.00 Marineland Glass Canopy (www.drsfostersmith.com)
$10.80 AquaTop IF202 Internal Filter w/Spray Bar (free shipping/20% discount www.truaqua.com)
$12.20 AquaTop 50W Adjustable Heater (free shipping/20% discount)

$46.00 Total

$33.00 Finnex 16" Stingray

$79.00 + Finnex and Drs. Foster and Smith shipping or taxes

Since I plan to get another 5.5 I bought 20 pounds of Tahitian Moon Sand to split between the two tanks. I aready have a cycled filter, heater and the Stingray.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-24-2015 at 04:24 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #2 
Polkadot

Good prices.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

What's interesting is, except for needing a light, the price is less than most 2.5-5 gallon kits when you factor in the heater. And nothing needs replacing or tweaking to make it Betta-friendly.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #4 
Polkadot

Very true.It sounds like it will be a great set up for him.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #5 
Aqua Aurora

I never like aquarium kits, always preferred to mix and match different brands of tank, heater, filter, and lighting to save on $. I save a lot on sand by getting black diamond from tractor supply co ($8 for 50lb bag). And then all the money I saved.. I quickly burn on buying plants for the tank ^^''

I've not tried finnex lighting yet, have you used it on other tanks? How high do you have it above the substrate and what light level does it give (low medium)? How have you liked it?
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #6 
DefStatic

Finnex lights are wonderful, except its one flaw which is they do not use bullet connectors. So any fancy ramp timer is not usable. At least all my Finnex are this way.

I use them on my 10 gallon and 30 gallon tanks.

The Stingray is a great choice to really get a bright effect without crossing over to the world of high light. I would consider it either on the high side of low, or low side of medium.

If I were to not have bought a 5.5 kit I did for $30, I would have gone this exact route.

I will be interested to see what plants you put in this tank and if the light will end up being too much. I have a Finnex 12" Planted+ on a 10 gallon and it is almost too much.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

I have Stingrays on a 20 long, a 10 and a 2.5; actually, I have two on the 20 and the 10. The Finnex guy recommended I go with the Stingray when I gave him the list of plants I grow and mentioned I have ADF ... they hate high light. He said the Planted+ would be too much unless I used a lot of floaters.

I have Anubias, Java Moss, Subwassertang, Swords, Crypts, Dwarf Sag, Downoi, Red Tiger Lotus, Loblia Cardinalis, Dwarf Four-Leaf Clover, Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosaefolia', Golden Loydiella, Vesuvius Swords. C calamistratus & C. natans + many more in all of my tanks.

I use 2" of sand and the lights are 2" above the rim. So it depends on substrate depth.

The Finnex guy said it was good for low and medium light plants; definitely not high light. Oh, I don't dose CO2 or Excel and have, so far, no problem with algae. Lights are on eight hours a day. Thank goodness for timers!

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-08-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I have Stingrays on a 20 long, a 10 and a 2.5; actually, I have two on the 20 and the 10. The Finnex guy recommended I go with the Stingray when I gave him the list of plants I grow and mentioned I have ADF ... they hate high light. He said the Planted+ would be too much unless I used a lot of floaters.

I have Anubias, Java Moss, Subwassertang, Swords, Crypts, Dwarf Sag, Downoi, Red Tiger Lotus, Loblia Cardinalis, Dwarf Four-Leaf Clover, Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosaefolia', Golden Loydiella, Vesuvius Swords. C calamistratus & C. natans + many more in all of my tanks.

I use 2" of sand and the lights are 2" above the rim. So it depends on substrate depth.

The Finnex guy said it was good for low and medium light plants; definitely not high light. Oh, I don't dose CO2 or Excel and have, so far, no problem with algae. Lights are on eight hours a day. Thank goodness for timers!
Oh god I know, have timers on all my tanks! They'd all be algae nightmares otherwise >.< I also use my phone as an aquatic works alarm system: water change schedule, fish feedings, plant fert dosings ^^''

And thank you both for your info on the finnex lights.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

The lights are cheaper at www.aquavibrant.com than Amazon or anywhere else. They have a flat $5.00 shipping or free over $75 or so.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #10 
DefStatic

Thats another reason I do like Finnex, is they have a ton of options. I use a FugeRay on my 30 gallon. I had to cut the case at the ends to retrofit it to my canopy, but it works great. Also, I have the original Planted+ Clip Light on my 10 gallon. I have to keep the light about 4 inches about the glass top or it becomes too much LOL.

I only wish they came with bullet connections, so they could be connected to a ramp timer. It freaks my fish when the lights come on instantly.

I have also managed to grow low light plants with stock LEDs, but those are really really really low light, low maint plants. Some plants might be low light but really need quality light, like Finnex lights provide.

LEDs can be a bit more expensive, but they save you on electricity, you have more options, and they produce less heat.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote