Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #1 
Thelittlemermaid

Exclamation incredibly tough algae problem!

ok, so today is my 3rd or 4th time cleaning algae out of my tank. my bettas have been sick, so I have had the carbon out of my filter for a while now. I put medicine in there to help them get better and 10 or so drops (i have a 10 gal tank) of some algae-killing stuff, but it doesn't seem to help. at first, it was just diatoms, but now it's green, and apparently peels off the walls of the tank. I'm gonna do what I usually do. Blast everything with the hose, no soap, and then run the plants and everything under hot water. I'm gonna replace the baffler I put on my filter too. Anyway, if anyone could give any advice on how to do a more permanent fix to this algae, issue, it would be much appreciated from my bettas and I
Thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #2 
Islandgaliam

Do you have a light on your tank? If so, how long is it on? is the tank near sunlight? Are the plant live or plastic?
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #3 
Thelittlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
Do you have a light on your tank? If so, how long is it on? is the tank near sunlight? Are the plant live or plastic?
I have a light on from morning till about midnight (my sleep schedual. I keep forgetting to turn it off at sunset), and my plants are plastic. I'm way too clumsy to manage live plants. I tried to get a snail to eat the algae, but the fish killed it.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #4 
Veloran

That light is on for quite a long time, you could always look into getting a timer from a home improvement store to turn your lights on and off. With plastic plants, you don't really have anything using up the nutrients with in the tank except the algae that's getting a feast with all the light. Some low maintenance live plants and lowering the light to about 8-10 hours (adjusting up and down depending on the plant growth rate) should help a lot with the algae.

Edit: What type of light are you using, btw?

Last edited by Veloran; 07-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #5 
Thelittlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloran View Post
That light is on for quite a long time, you could always look into getting a timer from a home improvement store to turn your lights on and off. With plastic plants, you don't really have anything using up the nutrients with in the tank except the algae that's getting a feast with all the light. Some low maintenance live plants and lowering the light to about 8-10 hours (adjusting up and down depending on the plant growth rate) should help a lot with the algae.

Edit: What type of light are you using, btw?
i'm using a flourescent light. it's the only thing that our walmart sells, and the nearest petco is a half hour away. I just did a 100% water change today and put new carbon in the filter. I think we have some extra timers laying around from christmas, so I can do that. What kind of plants do you recommend to help? my crowntail adores hiding in the plastic ones (she's a dork) so I can't wait to see the field day she'd have with live plants
Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

I'd get some fast-growing plants like Cabomba or Anacharis; you can let them float and she will rest in them. Anubias is recommended, too, but it is too slow-growing to do much for algae. Get a small bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and add five or so drops twice a week. That's all you need.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #7 
Thelittlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I'd get some fast-growing plants like Cabomba or Anacharis; you can let them float and she will rest in them. Anubias is recommended, too, but it is too slow-growing to do much for algae. Get a small bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and add five or so drops twice a week. That's all you need.
ok, I'll look into those plant types. In the meantime, I actually found a timer from christmas sort of lying around. I set it to go from 9 am-6 pm and have it going already.
thanks for all your help, you guys!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

I wouldn't leave the light on for more than six hours until you get some plants. Love my timer.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #9 
ALynK73

Algae eating creatures are a good natural way to combat algae. For a 10 gallon, you can get a few snails, who will happily eat your algae for you. Some of the species sold at Petsmart/ Petco (nerite, mystery etc.) will only reproduce in brackish water, so you don't have to worry about them taking over. Some plants will also compete for resources with the algae as well.
ALynK73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damn you algae, ugh