Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 
Hannah98

Mini Bow 2.5 gallon?

Hi, I'm thinking of possibly getting another Betta tank. I'm wondering if the Mini Bow 2.5 is a good tank for a male betta. I'm definitely not having more than one fish in there though, as I feel 1.25 gallons per fish is way too small and the holes in the divider are way too big in my opinion (my friend had it divided for her 2 males, and they were constantly flaring and nipping each other through it.) I'll be adding in a heater too.

I'd also like to know if 2.5 gallons is too small in your opinion?

Thanks for any advice :)

Last edited by Hannah98; 11-29-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Hannah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #2 
Reccka

I think 2.5 is a fine size for one betta as long as all the maintenance is kept up with. :) It has decent room for swimming, so they get a little more leg room in 2.5s. Though if you want to look for something like a 3 or 4 gallon...now would probably be the best time with all the holiday sales going on. It always seems like the smallest tanks are the most expensive anyway. Bigger is better, but 2.5 is fine.
Reccka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #3 
selah

2.5 is OK for one betta, but the filter that comes with that tank is too strong and will need baffling.. better a sponge filter. I have two of the 5G mini-bow and replaced both filters which are the same as the one in the 2.5G..
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 
Kim

That tank is workable, but if you want my personal opinion, I don't like 2.5 gallon tanks - they just seem too small. I keep mine in 10 gallon tanks each, but even if you can get a 5 gallon (really doesn't take up much more space than a 2.5 gallon and likely the same price), that would be far preferable in my opinion.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #5 
maileen22092

I have 3 2.5 Mini Bows and I hate them.

The filter is too strong for my betta, [I've done everything from raising water level to baffling both the intake and outtake] and the filter on the second isn't as strong, so the filter strength varies on each tank.

The cover doesn't protect the light bulb from condensation AT ALL & it comes with a incandescent bulb which creates a lot of heat making matters worse so eventually the water will reach the bulb socket and short it out which can be dangerous I bought a third tank to replace the top and switched to Zoo Med Ultra Sun bulbs cause I has also added live plants, the condensation. I thought I would be clever and cover the bottom of the cover with clear vinyl film so stop water from getting in but eventually the adhesive wore out and water got into the socket shorting it out again.

A lot from trouble comes from the type of fish itself, tropical fish need warm water which just creates humidity and in such a small, not very well ventilated space (from water level to cover bottom) this cover just doesn't work well with those conditions.

Also, the filter is completely exposed to the light which allows for insane algae growth on filter sponge esp. if you stick with the stock incandescent bulb

The only thing I love about the tanks is the bow shape and acrylic material.

I'm actually looking into replacing it, haven't decided wether I'll just toss the top and make my own out of plexiglass and buy an hob filter or whether I'll just get a small glass tank and buy what else I'll need separately
maileen22092 is offline   Reply With Quote