Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #1 
Aly Homewood

Question Tank Upgrade!

I am about to upgrade my betta's tank (yay!), from her tiny filtered 2.5 gallon, to either a 5 or 10 gallon, anyway, I have a few random questions that I am going to try pack into one thread

Filtration:
I am going to use an aquaclear 20 to filter the new tank, but since the current tank is currently very under filtered and since I can't upgrade for a few months (I am travelling for the summer, so I am setting it up once I get back to my normal house in a month or so) so I was thinking about purchasing the filter a little early so that the current tank can have a decent filtration system, is it ridiculous to have an aquaclear 20 on a 2.5 gallon tank? I've heard of it being done successfully and my betta is a very strong swimmer for a betta.

Hood
Is it 100% necessary to have a lid, I was thinking about getting some mesh and covering the top of the tank like that to keep my betta from jumping out, can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a viable hood?

Lighting
If I don't have an actual hood, I probably can't do any aquarium lights on the hood, do betta fish actually need light, or is it just so us humans can see the fish?

Thanks
Aly Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #2 
FredDaBetta

I'm not sure about the filter… I think that it would make too strong of a current for him, but that might just be because my half moon absolutely despises filters lol. As for the mesh that would work perfectly fine. More people use hoods to keep out dust and such things like that. As for the lights… its actually more preferable not to have them! The lights grow more algae making the tank dirtier! Plus it hurts the betas eyes after a while! Good luck with your betta!
FredDaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #3 
Aly Homewood

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful, I think I'll at least try the aquaclear and then if it's too strong, i'll just save it for the larger tank.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #4 
FredDaBetta

Awesome! Have fun with the new tank. :)
FredDaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #5 
Kyle15

About hood and lighting
neither of them are needed
except
when I do a water change USE a lid. Don't
make the mistake I made by not using a lid and while I was
getting the water ready. My beautiful White HM female jumped out
2 days b4 I was gonna breed:(
Kyle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #6 
Aly Homewood

aww, that sucks, I'll be sure to be very careful about that
Old 07-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #7 
SplashyBetta

Hood and lights are not necessary, but the tank needs some sort of cover. Even plastic cling wrap works. Bettas are jumpers!
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #8 
Aly Homewood

I'm going to secure some mesh around the top, so it won't cut of any air, but she won't be able to jump out.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #9 
Lilypad

Aly, I used plastic craft mesh on the top of my tank. Perfect for cutting to size, around filters, air tubing, lighting, etc, and doesn't take much to secure.
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #10 
Aly Homewood

Like the ones used for needle work?