Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #1 
Yestergirl

Question Are ceramic decorations safe in the tank?

Hi Everyone,
I ordered a "aquarium safe" ceramic sign from a person who does ceramics, and got it today and saw that the inside is not finished. I didn't really think about that, but does that matter? Are ceramics safe? I know she glazed the outside, but just thought I'd throw the question out there before I put this in my tank.
Yestergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I use dollar store tea light holders as caves in many of my tanks, some of which are unfinished inside and I have yet to see issues, there is also a trend of people using ceramic flower pots that are unglazed and I have yet to hear of any illnesses or water fluctuations.

If you are particularly unsure you can always treat some water and place the decoration in a bucket to soak for several days and see how it holds up/the water readings. or play it super safe by spraying the inside with an aquarium safe spraypaint.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #3 
Yestergirl

Thanks Taeanna!
I think I'll soak it and see what happens. Hopefully all goes well. And I really like the idea of the tea light holders as caves! I may have to give that a try as well!

Yestergirl
Yestergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #4 
KaisynKai

If they r glazing it with glaze that is food safe then yes u'll be fine
KaisynKai is offline   Reply With Quote