Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

DIY Thread

Be it decor, or equipment (like dividers, lids, or stands, etc), it's all welcome here. With some of the aspects of fish keeping being expensive (equipment and decor), and sometimes not as fish friendly as advertised, I'd like to have a thread where people can share the ideas that they've come up with to make this hobby more affordable, or more safe for our finned family members. Or even something that was just downright crafty!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

I bought some "solid" cholla for my tanks, and didn't have slate on hand (and the idea of even using stainless steel to screw it to the slate made me feel weird about it), so I made my own "weights" for the bigger pieces.

2 are aquarium suction cups, and I used spiderwire (nylon) fishing line to tie the cholla to the cups. The third is a terra cotta pot. I ran line through the small holes on the wood, and then cut a square of craft mesh slightly bigger than the hole on the bottom of the pot, threaded both ends of the fishing line through the hole and into opposing corners of the mesh. I just double knotted it to get it to stay put. If the pot isn't heavy enough, I can weigh it down with gravel, sand, or sea glass.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Cool Fancy Betta Hammock

Thanks for inviting me to post this here!

This is the 'fancy' betta hammock I made for my only AB betta I own. I made the typical DIY betta hammock from plastic mesh (available at any craft or Walmart store) and cut it so there'd be amble room for the betta to go in as well as my hands to work in it.

I added two suction cups for stability, since I planned to add silk plants to it as well.

Then I found some old decor that I'm not using and doubted I would use and trimmed off the silk plants connected to it. You could also buy silk plants specifically for this, I was simply home and bored.

Any ways, most silk plants have plastic stems you can poke through the holes in your hammock. I chose to weave it through a few holes if I could, just so it was secure, but also so I could tuck the ends away from the inside of the hammock so as not to disturb my betta.

You can do whatever you like with this, I chose to position some broad leaves in front of the 'door' so s to create more cover for him when he chooses to use it (which he does off and on still).

It's durable and safe (make sure you check for metal parts and remove them - rust is very bad for your fish! ), and you can easily change up the foliage whenever you like.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

Thank you for sharing, Syr! I always love any way that we can jazz up the plain craft mesh that is so handy for tanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 
Mashiro

This is my 3-way divided tank. I put the dividers together using craft mesh and the spines from binder covers. I siliconed in the binder cover spines and just slid the craft mesh down into them. Works like a charm!

That second pic really doesn't do it justice, the water is all dark from the Mopani wood still leeching tannins.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #6 
Syriiven

Craft mesh = Awsm
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 
Mar

Awesome DIY projects! Can't wait to see more. /subbing xD
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

Can you come divide my 20, Mashiro? My female frog would appreciate it! XD

I don't know if anyone would want me to post the Patchwork Cottages here (made from perlers)? I can. But I won't be posting the hammocks, it does involve more of a burn risk to make those, and I don't want someone getting hurt.

Let me know, and I'll post a little "how-to"
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #9 
Mashiro

Haha I wish I could, but it's too easy to do on your own, Skyewillow!
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

you'd be amazed to know that I can make cottages, hammocks, and sew things, but I can't divide a tank to save my soul! XD