Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #1 
wolflover98

very very small tank how often change water

hey im new here, I just got this beautiful betta for my birthday. I need help because soon I will be getting a bigger tank for them but right now the tank is very small and idk when to change the water.
wolflover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #2 
sydneyalexy

How many gallons?
sydneyalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #3 
wolflover98

its not even a half gallon like I said Imma get a new one soon once I have the money too but for right now I just wanna keep them happy
Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #4 
sydneyalexy

them? is there more than one in a bowl?! and I would say every week or even more often then that.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #5 
wolflover98

oh no no no no I just don't have a name so I called no name them lol and thank you I didn't know if I should do it every day or something like that
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #6 
sydneyalexy

Ohhhhhh, okay. Well, I would do every 5 days or so. Something like that. Get them a new tank soon, and best of luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #7 
wolflover98

thank you very much and I promise I will just waiting for birthday money so I can afford a new tank lol
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #8 
JessiesGill

No. If it's in less than half a gallon, you need to change the water every day. Ammonia builds up quickly in a small amount of water.
JessiesGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #9 
wolflover98

okay ill change it now then thanks! but im just afraid that the betta will get stressed out how do I change the water without stressing them?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #10 
hrutan

Scoop him out in the cup he came in, gently - do not net him, since that can tear his fins. Leave a little air space at the top and put on the lid or cover it with saran wrap with a hole or two poked in it. Betta can jump, and that's the last thing you need.

Clean the tank, replace the water with similar temperature conditioned tap water (testing temperature with the inside of your wrist is fairly accurate). Float him in the new water and acclimate him gently by blending the new water into his cup water over 20 minutes or so, just like you did when you got him, and then let him go.

It's going to be stressful for him until he gets a new tank. There's no way to avoid that. As long as you are gentle with him and take your time, he'll probably be okay until you get him better quarters. You can try putting his cup into his tank at feeding time, and giving him the pellets inside the cup, to train him not to be afraid of it.

You really do want to change the water every day. Every other day at the absolute maximum if the delay cannot be avoided.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, small, tank