Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #1 
deblivet

new aquarium

I've had my betta for about 8 months in a one gallon bowl at work. He's been doing great. Growing and seems to be a happy betta. I just brought him home though. My husband likes him and wants to keep him home. So we bought a new home for the little guy. A 2.65 gal Marina 360 aquarium kit. It has a filter and lights. It's a very nice tank and the little guy seems to be adjusting. My concern though is when we feed him, the pellets get caught up in the current of the water flow before the betta sees it. I know that he won't eat the pellets if they stay in the water for any length of time, he seems to like them crunchy and fresh. When he was in the smaller bowl, I'd drop the pellets right in front of him, he'd just grab them, almost like he was eating out of my hand! Now the pellets sink to the bottom of the aquarium. He swims around trying to either find them or chases after them, but rarely gets them.
How do you deal with this problem, shut the filter off while feeding?

thanks
deblivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #2 
kjg1029

Have you tried baffling the filter with a piece of aquarium sponge to slow the flow?
your betta also need a heater! An adjustable 25W works, the hydor Theo is a good one.
goodluck!:)
kjg1029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I had the same problem with another tank and filter. I just turned it off when I fed him as all the rest of the time he didn't have issues with the filter flow. But if the filter is too strong for hiim at any oher time and buffeting him around I would do as kjg suggests and baffle it.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #4 
deblivet

Thanks to both of you. I don't think he is getting buffeted around too much, except when he is directly in the flow of the stream. There seems to be plenty of areas for him to swim. I might look into the sponge, but in the meantime I'll shut the filter off when I feed him. He seems to be smart enough (if that's possible with a fish!) that he'll learn it's feeding time when the filter goes off.
deblivet is offline   Reply With Quote