Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 AM   #1 
Manzanita Perches?

Okay so I'mm still planning on setting up a 2.5 in my room but i've been having a hell of a time finding drift wood small enough for a 2.5

But I was wondering. Manzanita bird perches. If I removed the hard ware ( of course) and boiled/ bakes/ soaked it , would that make an okay tank decor?

I know lots of people use manzanita in their tanks I'm just wondering if the manzanita used in tanks is any different then the stuff used for birds.

What I mean is something like this

but not this exact brand.

Has anyone else used these in your tanks? I know we use them in our reptile habitats at work but that's different.

I would be willing to soak it for a long time in needed ( seeing as I dont even have the tank yet haha)
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #2 
I don't know if it'd be safe or not; so long as it's untreated I don't see an issue with it if manzanita is commonly used in tanks already. (I haven't heard of it before.) If it works, it'd look awesome!
hannat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier
I used to work at petsmart and thought about buying one of those perches a few times. I eventually just picked up a chunk of mopani (sold in the reptile section) because I liked the shape better. I spent a fair amount of time considering the manzanita, they are not coated in anything as they have to be safe for birds to break into pieces. Once the hardware is out they just need to be boiled/soaked to get rid of any surface pests and to encourage them to sink.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 AM   #4 
Yea my branch doesnt sell mopani anymore ( I got my initial piece from there ) plus Im looking for a more branchy look for the smaller tank which is why im looking to the manzanita. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a nice looking one and see how it goes.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote