Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #1 
spaceyJC

Question Aquarium-safe?

A have a few questions about what things are aquarium safe.

1. I have some oven bake clay, the brand is Sculney. I figure it probably isn't aquarium safe, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

2. Can you put silk flowers in a fish tank? Like you ones you get from the floral section in a Walmart or Hobby Lobby (or other craft store)?

3. What things are aquarium safe? I want to make things to put in my tank, so suggestions would be great!
spaceyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #2 
teganap

personally i wouldn't put anything in my aquarium that wasn't designed specially for aquariums, just because you never know what chemical they use on a product and i would not risk it. you can get nice silk plants that are meant for aquariums, but they make so many decorations for aquariums im sure you can find what youre looking for!

sorry if this isnt much help, haha.
teganap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #3 
VivianKJean

You can use the clay you have but you have to use a food safe sealant/glaze on top of it.

Do not use the silk flowers found at Walmart, etc. They may contain dyes that are not aquarium safe.

I would even be careful of the decor that IS made for aquariums. I've personally had some bad luck with things. In general, let new decor soak in conditioned water for 2 weeks before you add it to the tank. Every couple of days check to see if it smells bad or if the paint is peeling or bubbling or clipping.

here is a thread of dangerous decor
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=224650

Also, here is the DIY thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=245289
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote