Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #1 
Criollo Betta

Drift wood from the river?

Does anyone know if I can put drift wood I found in a river in my aquarium? I found a few really cool pieces, and I was wondering if it would harm my betta in any way. It has been sitting outside for a while now. :) thanks!
Criollo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #2 
razzhasbettas

Well, the immediate answer is no, you shouldn't stick driftwood you found outside right into your tank, because it's undoubtedly full of microbes and bacteria that will quickly infest your water and make your little guy sick(unfortunately, I've made this mistake...). However, you CAN use it in your tank if you're willing to put a lot of time and a bit of work into it. Here's a link to an article about what you'll have to do. http://bettafishy.com/how-to-make-yo...ium-driftwood/
Make sure that everything you use (the brush you need to scrub the wood, the container you use to soak it, ect.) has been sterilized with boiling water only! I just started some nice pieces I found on the beach soaking yesterday, so in a few weeks they'll be ready for a new aquascape!
razzhasbettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driftwood