Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #101 
redthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
It used to contain metal. I don't know if they've changed it (I'd heard that maybe they have).
Never mind, I saw this. I think they fixed it because Red seems to have no problems with it.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #102 
HeadlessLegoMom

I think people said the paint was bubbling, but I can't remember if it was that or a chemical smell. Did you read through the thread?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #103 
redthebetta

Yep, I think they fixed it now.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #104 
Indigo Betta

Exclamation

This is dangerous for Dwarf Gouramis my Garry got stuck inside it and hurt himself badly trying to get out and bettas would probably do the same, its alright for smaller fish like tetras and guppies but nothing larger than that.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #105 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
So...that swim-through I bought for Merlin...yeah...smelled like paint after letting it soak -.-' Guess who made it? You guessed it! Top Fin!!! (Also sold at PetSmart).

Hoping the latest swim-through I bought for Merlin doesn't smell like paint or anything weird!!! (I didn't buy this latest one from PetSmart and it's made by Hagan).

I had one of these in my tanks and my fish died. It made my tank smell really bad too. Not sure if it was because my first fish was sick already when I got him or it was this thing. =(

I want to show you all this one:

I could not find the same one. But it's the tall temple that has the small opening at the very top. This one killed my beloved Johny Bravo. =( He got stuck at the very top and I found him trying to get out. I freed him and this is what happened:

He died two days later. I tried to save him with meds but to no avail. =(
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #106 
TaylerHill

I bought this Petco heater for one of my boys and at first it was great. It heated the tank nicely. After a week or so the black paint started flaking off and leaving these black specks everywhere in my tank. It didn't harm my betta but I removed it as soon as I noticed the paint chips.

http://www.petco.com/product/102227/...m-Heaters.aspx
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #107 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
This Balinese Lantern was on sale at my Petsmart so I grabbed it. After being in a 1gallon (the tank one of my girls was in temporarily) for about 24 hours, the water had a strange oily substance floating on top and it smelled like burning plastic. It was so bad, and so strong when I took the Lantern out it gave me an immediate headache. I'm so thankful my girl is okay. I had given her a 100% water change afterward, and she didn't get sick at all. But it was still gross and terrifying and I have no idea what caused it. I did rinse it in warm water first like you're supposed to with all new decorations, and it was fine when I put it in. But the smell was horrific. And that oily substance was floating out of the holes of the lantern too. I threw it right in the trash.
I've had this same decoration in my 10 gallon for almost a year without issue. HOWEVER, I've noticed that with another decoration that I have, they seem to have re-released with a glaze over it that wasn't on the one that I had. Perhaps it was a case like that?
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #108 
Tree

found it! this is the one that killed my betta above.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #109 
Sylerwin

This Buddha statue from Petsmart, (Top Fin) began bubbling after a few months in my tank. Granted, a few months is a while, but, as soon as I saw it I removed it. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #110 
MsAqua

Not sure if this is anywhere but I had this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

In Diablo's tank for a couple weeks. The paint started to bubble, it left a film on the top of the water, and when I took it out of the tank it smelled awful (likely spray paint).
Attached Images

MsAqua is offline   Reply With Quote