Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #111 
ricepattyfish5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I have the hammock, too. It will be safe and mostly useful to some fish as long as you take the wire out; that's what I did.
I have four of these leaf hammocks (one of them I have had for almost three years) and I have never seen the metal wire nor have they caused any of my babies any pain. It is the EXACT same one shown in the picture earlier in this thread too. So that is strange to hear.
ricepattyfish5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #112 
KeshiaB

Not an ornament as such, but I just wanted to warn anyone out there about placing Chinese Jade or Garnet in your tanks. I tried this once to add some colour to my tank, within 2 days my PH had skyrocketed (my water is normally slightly acidic but it went off the charts alkaline)! This was in a 5L tank, but I think these stones would do the same to bigger tanks.

My betta was fine by the way, luckily the tank was new and I was testing the water every 2 days!
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #113 
eleventytwelve

The fake plants on this thing tore up my halfmoon's tail and fins... I've since removed the plant part of the decor and replaced them with real ones.

http://www.petco.com/product/112187/...%C3%A9cor.aspx

There are also small holes in the rocks that my betta used to swim through but I was a little worried he would scrape himself so I filled them with java moss.
eleventytwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #114 
eleventytwelve

I've also read reviews that the paint peels on that item, but I haven't had any problems with it thus far ... I'll keep observing, though.
eleventytwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #115 
aquagreen

I'd like to bump this because I think this is great information. Just realized I had one of these decorations in my betta's tank!!! (Not anymore!)
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #116 
almes2014

Good materials for tanks are: quartz, glass (great for pops of color), sand, silk, ceramic for aquariums (but make sure the paint doesn't peel off and cause a decline in water quality), and, in my experience, soft plastic aquarium plants. That list is based on my knowledge of chemistry (I'm a science major)...none of those materials are reactive with stuff in water.

Personally, I'd steer clear of any non-glass items that are brightly colored -- they're most likely to peel away.
almes2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #117 
lovee1795

This is a good thread, however I have the pineapple mentioned on the first page and I've had it since last September without any issues. Now, last week I was pulling it out of the tank to clean it during a water change by the "plant" part and it literally just fell apart. I bought a new one on Amazon, and while browsing I realized there's a version made by Penn Plax and a version made by a different company that are almost identical. The other version has larger windows (so I guess, in theory, would be better for bettas). I bought that version to replace the now broken pineapple I have. I'm not sure who made the one I have at the moment anymore. From other things I read, if there's issue with the pineapple it's probably the Penn Plax one. Also, I have one of the betta hammocks as well since September and I clean it at every 100% water change and have never found anything wrong with it.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #118 
Sylerwin

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/produ...38t300x300.jpg

paint peels off of the pink castle ornament from petsmart
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #119 
SweetCheeksMum

This is a great idea to have this list, I would have added this sooner if I knew it was here.
Paint peals off this betta log after a few weeks....

I took this picture when I noticed it and sure enough it was all threw the rocks when I cleaned the tank right after snapping this picture. And it was to late for Vincent :(

I also wanted to add my experience with the pineapple and squidwards house... I have both in my sons tank. I've had them in there since early November and they have been fine. No pealing, no weird smell, no slime. They must have fixed their issue? The only thing I had to do was file around the holes a little to get rid of a few sharp edges.
SweetCheeksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #120 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
glad I read this thread. I have seen some around my pet store but opted not to get them and choose more important things that I needed (food and conditioner). I've been thinking about going back and getting them/ considered getting them lots of other times. once I was standing in the check out like with one and then changed my mind last minute because I couldn't find my phone
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote