Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #131 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Cari I use those exact plants in my tank and my boys adore them. They have gotten in around under and jammed into just about every gap without any problems. I went crazy with a bit of pantyhose looking for scratchy ends.
Because they are so cheap I do tend to buy and toss them with ridiculous frequency rather than use them long term. For one thing the material picks up the brown algae I am having problems keeping down in the divided tank and looks gross.
If I had the money I would likely rip out the wires and glue the entire plant together with gel superglue to make it safer, but to date I have had no problems with my system (plus I fully change tanks week to week so no plant is in there longer than a week before being cycled out, cleaned and dried for another 2)
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 AM   #132 
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
Cari I use those exact plants in my tank and my boys adore them. They have gotten in around under and jammed into just about every gap without any problems. I went crazy with a bit of pantyhose looking for scratchy ends.
Because they are so cheap I do tend to buy and toss them with ridiculous frequency rather than use them long term. For one thing the material picks up the brown algae I am having problems keeping down in the divided tank and looks gross.
If I had the money I would likely rip out the wires and glue the entire plant together with gel superglue to make it safer, but to date I have had no problems with my system (plus I fully change tanks week to week so no plant is in there longer than a week before being cycled out, cleaned and dried for another 2)
Do you mean the pink-flowered plants? If so, that's good to know that they don't have any major problems other than algae. I can deal with algae, I can't deal with peeling paint! D:
Cari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #133 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Ah I'm sorry to say i was referring to the green material duo picture you posted. :/
But if you worry about anything peeling a good plan (and this works on just about anything I wave noticed) is to soak it in a bucket or water with a ridiculous amount of AQ salt in it for a couple of days then scrub a bit of it with a toothbrush. If the paint comes off its a bad call.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #134 
AmbiantNight

I thought I would offer this as a safe alternative to many ornaments (and just looks cool)

The rocky cave

Hot glue gun or silicone tank sealant
a variety of smooth aquarium rocks

You can stack and glue these together to form tubes and caves. Try decorating with some safe plants and create a play ground for your betta.

The garden hide away

Same materials as above but add in a clay pot broken in half (unpainted terracotta)
Sand the edges of the pot till smooth and safe. Use a coarse sand paper to do this. Any edges you are unable to smooth completely put some glue on them to protect your fish. Decorate the outside with stones and plants. You can even use aquarium glass beads and make it look snazzy. I like to use shorter plants for this one. There is even some moss like plastic plants that look great on it.

Avoid ABS plastics/ Spray paints (even acrylic) Wild stones can be used but boil them for an hour then bake for 4. Trust me you don't want to know what may have been growing in or around them. But if you do that they are safe. Try going to the beach and finding 3 long flat stones. Thanks to the water rolling them around they are already smooth and snag free. For them I like to use aquarium sealant and put them together in a triangle. Another interesting idea for those who are iffy on the hammock is to build a pillar that reaches just up enough to be 3 inches below your normal water line then put a small soft plant on top. I call it the look out tower.

For those who ain't as nuts as me to go threw all the work I will be making and selling some items once the weather warms up enough to go get supplies. (all my normal rock gathering spots are frozen over right now.)
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #135 
Alyssum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
Alyssum, mine was sealed too, but I took the wire out anyway just to be safe, I didn't want to chance it. Here is how I did it (going by the colors of mine)...

1. Pull out the bulb thing in the very center that is holding all the individual leafs in place
2. Pull off all the leaves including dark green at the very bottom
3. Push out the stem/wire + hot glue from the base by pushing something through the bottom hole (I used a round chopstick), making sure the hot glue inside the hole doesn't separate from the green stem
3. Once the stem is out, there should be a chunk of hot glue still at the bottom, don't remove since that's necessary for putting the plant back together
4. Figure out which end of the stem the wire is already poking out of. For me it was both ends. If it isn't poking out just nip the top of the plastic carefully with some scissors.
5. By applying some pressure you should be able to wiggle/push/pull the wire out. I was able to press the bottom (hot glue area) onto my desk, pull down on the green plastic stem, and the wire started to poke further out of the top, and then all I had to do was pull it out (using a paper towel for better grip). It will come out, you just have to try a few things and see what works.
6. Then just put the hot glue end of the stem back into the base (it should still fit snugly) and put the whole plant back together. It won't be as stiff as it was before, but it's just a plant, it's not a big deal unless like I said your betta is a giant and likes to ram into plants because it thinks its Godzilla or something
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try to get it out soon
Alyssum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #136 
mart

Time to add another decoration to the list. This was my second Zen Buddah. First one bubbled. This one lasted about three weeks. Then yesterday the tank got cloudy. Did a water change and took it out and it was slimey and stunk. Saw the small bubbling on it. Now this one wasn't painted, and was suppose to be resin. I thought it was weird that it wasn't as green as it was when I first put it in the tank, in fact it was almost entirely white.

Jade Buddah by Top Fin

Last edited by mart; 03-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #137 
Alyssum

That is so scary. I saw that in the store not too long ago. I hate how all of these ornaments are not meant for aquariums at all and dangerous. I've decided a while ago that I will not be buying anymore painted decorations. I will make my own out of rocks or buy natural slate or driftwood and clean it before putting it in. This is ridiculous
Alyssum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #138 
Scubakrat

Wow, this is scary because I was looking at all of these yesterday at the pet store! Thank you so much for posting! I'm really glad I found this thread!!!!!
Scubakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #139 
mart

Your both welcome.
I also decided that will be the last. My tank will have to be Zen free.

What I did, is take a solid glass frog candle holder and put it in the tank, and I put my Anubias plant in where the candle goes. Works great, and I don't have to worry about these horrible decorations that the pet stores are selling.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #140 
bluefishy75

Got this at Petco. As soon as I started rinsing it to get it ready to go in my tank it started smelling very strongly of chemicals and paint thinner. Obviously it will never see the inside of any of my tanks...
bluefishy75 is offline   Reply With Quote