Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #171 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquab2st View Post
I've had 2 of these in 2 different tanks I've never had this problem both my boys love it
Depends on who made it, and when it was made. It could be old stock that was made correctly. The stuff that is hitting the shelves now is all junk. You might find one or two that won't do it, but I still think it is old stock.
I had a buddah that was suppose to be resin, no paint, and it did the same thing as the painted decorations.

Like Setangha said, it's just not worth it to take the chance.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #172 
Cari

A little late to post, but I did end up returning these two "trees" in Flareon's tank a few weeks ago, because the big one had started to peel. I replaced everything plastic for silk plants, and now his fins are finally healing. They kept getting torn on the sharp plastic flowers, it just wasn't worth it. I left two of the little flowers (which had fallen off the tree before I returned it) floating around on top the water, because Flareon liked to build nests around them. But then I noticed a few days ago that the top of his water had a weird whitish swirly film on top. I took out the flowers and within an hour the water was back to normal. No idea what that was...

Anyway, this is his new tank! All silk. I also built him two caves out of river rocks which aren't in the picture.

Cari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #173 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
A little late to post, but I did end up returning these two "trees" in Flareon's tank a few weeks ago, because the big one had started to peel. I replaced everything plastic for silk plants, and now his fins are finally healing. They kept getting torn on the sharp plastic flowers, it just wasn't worth it. I left two of the little flowers (which had fallen off the tree before I returned it) floating around on top the water, because Flareon liked to build nests around them. But then I noticed a few days ago that the top of his water had a weird whitish swirly film on top. I took out the flowers and within an hour the water was back to normal. No idea what that was...

Anyway, this is his new tank! All silk. I also built him two caves out of river rocks which aren't in the picture.

Oh I like your tank much better now.
Why is it people don't want to believe us about these decorations they are selling now?
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #174 
lulubell5

penn plax hide away stackable stone ornaments caused tears in his fins. they are very sharp around the holes and i took it out immediately after i saw his fins.
lulubell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #175 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Those are sooooo rough on the inside.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #176 
Pocketmew

So I found today that my betta had to rips in his fins! :C All of his plants are silk except for this ornament

The leaves/plants aren't the problem. On the inside hole where he swims through there was a small sharp part that was sticking out, it was sharp enough to cut myself! ;n; If you buy this PLEASE check the openings!!!!
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #177 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNightraven View Post
I have two more additions for this thread, unfortunately:

Zoo Med Floating Aquarium Log from Petco:

My betta adored his log, but I ended up trashing it after a couple of month because it was slimy and was leeching gross-looking chemical streaks on the surface of the water. Think of how you can see the oil and gasoline streaks in the water that's collected on the street after it rains. It looked like that. Yuck! I'm in the process of getting the materials to make a new "floating log" out of PVC pipe and suction cups.

This turtle ornament from Petsmart:

This lasted about three months. I was hopeful that it might not come up with any problems, but sadly the paint started chipping, so into the trash it went. It's a shame. It was such a cute ornament.
I put one of these in his tank today and earlier posted pics of Bubblo and his log; glad I saw this, and a post about the sinkable one. It is now out of the tank, and Bubblo seems to be looking for it..he has been in and out of it all day long. The gal at the Pet Store told me it was safe for my betta
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #178 
Plakattyphoon1234

Update on product

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post

I have heard multiple accounts of this having a metal wire in it that will GUT their fish if they lay on it. I've obviously never bought it.
Their is a new one without the metal wire after multiple complaints. Check the underside still. One is at my local petsmart. Going in anthor week!!
Plakattyphoon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #179 
Plakattyphoon1234

The picture is a new one of it:
Plakattyphoon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #180 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Really glad I soaked this before I put it in the tank...

Name:  DSCF0688.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  65.6 KB
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote