Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #201 
Pocketmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiesGill View Post
That's disappointing. I have the orange version (the short one) from Petco and have had no trouble with it so far. I've had it for 6 months. Too bad the taller one gave you problems, because I'd like something taller now that I have a bigger tank.
It wasn't the taller one that gave problems :3 The teal one is the tallest and I have had no problems whatsoever in my 10gal. The red one which is the medium I believe is the one that is causing the white film on top.
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #202 
4everaspirit

I don't know if it's dangerous, but those betta leaf hammocks, at least the one I have, the green coloring is coming off and I think it's why there is a bunch of green slime covering my ornaments.....
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #203 
ShadyLex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
This Balinese Lantern was on sale at my Petsmart so I grabbed it. After being in a 1gallon (the tank one of my girls was in temporarily) for about 24 hours, the water had a strange oily substance floating on top and it smelled like burning plastic. It was so bad, and so strong when I took the Lantern out it gave me an immediate headache. I'm so thankful my girl is okay. I had given her a 100% water change afterward, and she didn't get sick at all. But it was still gross and terrifying and I have no idea what caused it. I did rinse it in warm water first like you're supposed to with all new decorations, and it was fine when I put it in. But the smell was horrific. And that oily substance was floating out of the holes of the lantern too. I threw it right in the trash.
I have this in my tank and so far nothing bad has happened. I boiled it for 10 mintues and spend half an hour sanding the edges so that my betta's fins wouldn't get caught. I'll keep an eye out for it and I haven't smelled any burnt our out of the ordinary smell.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #204 
ShadyLex

I had this for a few months and the paint started chipping off. Threw it away the moment I noticed it. Probably caused the tears in my bettas fins when I had it.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #205 
mobius981

This is made by Fluval. It holds plants and hides heater. I saw it on Amazon and thought OMG, this is PERFECT, I want one right now! Then.....I read the reviews. Appalling. Chipping of paint, unstable, can trap fish, glass is sharp, etc. Thank goodness for reviews, altho the product should be taken off the market. Makes me mad.
mobius981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #206 
dragnz2159

I got this from Petco. It has been in my tank for three days and it started seriously fading already. It also has developed a paint smell on the plants and the inside of the rocks. My water started getting really cloudy, as well. I have removed it from the tank and threw it in the trash. The title is "Blue Ribbon Spa Stones with Plastic Plants Aquarium Ornament." Thank goodness I am still cycling my tank and there are no fish in there yet to have gotten sick.
Attached Images

dragnz2159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #207 
mobius981

Ahhh, they all look so nice to begin with don't they? Grrrrr.
mobius981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #208 
Islandgaliam

Too bad there aren't "fish safety rules" like there are for "food safety"...it's incredible the guidelines our farm follows for growing a potatoes!!!
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #209 
spiritbettalady

I am about to set up my first tank.k and have the green plastic leaf. Does anyone know for sure if it is unsafe?
spiritbettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #210 
dragnz2159

I have the leaf and mine loved it. There is no metal in the version they have out now. It should be safe.
dragnz2159 is offline   Reply With Quote