Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #211 
Pony

Heck, I've had the betta hammocks with the metal in them and none of the metal is exposed so it's never rusted. I've had four of them going for at least a year each. The only problem I ever had with them was the suction cups going out if you move them around too many times.
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #212 
spiritbettalady

Thanks for safe leaf info. Seems as if we need tank police. This is a valuable thread for sure. Can it be a sticky?
spiritbettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #213 
averyecho

This one isn't particulary dangerous in its own right, but it SHREDS betta tail fins.

It's OK for fish without flowy fins, though.
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #214 
mikyj

just read this thread and noticed alot of you are saying something about slime?

are tank ornaments never supposed to feel slimy at all? sometimes when i clean my ornaments they feel lightly slimy (no odor or discoloration) but i just thought that was because they are in a tank with a fish? i havent had any problems aka my fish is really happy and active and eats well. i have the penn plax hideaway pipes (which my fish loves) and a single roman pillar, and a betta hammock that i am about to remove the wire from just incase.

I DID have a problem though with the suction cups on my heater? after about a week or two, there was about half a millimeter of slime that i wiped away with a clean cloth and it was a sort of yellow color. haven't had the problem since I wiped it off, there's still a tiny bit of slime but again, I'm not sure what is harmful vs normal? only on the suction cup for my heater though. my tom mini internal filter has suction cups as well and there is no slime on that thing what so ever. someone please let me know! I'm nervous because I'm going out of town tomorrow and my girlfriend is going to be watching the tank so I wont be here incase something terrible happens!!!
mikyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #215 
fidget

Don't worry about suction cup slime- just wipe it off. All of mine get slimy.

I recently put a cute little ship in my Peanut's tank and now he's barely alive. I'm hoping he pulls out of it. It's a small decoration that looks like a shipwreck with little sharks painted on. It's supposed to be a bubbler but I just used it as a decoration for obvious reasons. Peanut loved that stupid thing- after the first day he wasn't looking quite right, one and a half days later he was clamped and near the surface all day, panting. AVOID!

Here's a link to the shipwreck:

LINK!

Last edited by fidget; 05-29-2014 at 03:45 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #216 
spiritbettalady

Slime can be caused by a bacteria (cyanobacteria). This bacteria can also be in your pets water bowls. This bacteria responds to excessive levels of phosphate in the water A regular cleaning schedule can help keep it in check.

http://www.aquariumprofessionals.com...m#.U4clk8tOVVc

Last edited by spiritbettalady; 05-29-2014 at 07:25 AM.
spiritbettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #217 
crzycrkr

The artificial leaf hammock stool has the wire in it. Bought two the other day at Petco. Pulled them both out
Attached Images

crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #218 
Bailmint

Yep, I bought a leaf hammock. They're perfectly safe if you pull out the metal wires though.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #219 
crzycrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailmint View Post
Yep, I bought a leaf hammock. They're perfectly safe if you pull out the metal wires though.
Just wanted to let people know. I had read some people say earlier that they had stopped making them with the wire
crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #220 
ZZD

I got one of these a while ago http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Silicon...rds=fish+decor

The betta loved it at first, but soon not even the snails would touch it. It got really gross and started to collect dirt as if it was sticky and the layers of silicon started to peel off. The whole thing started to get stuck to itself too and like bond to itself. I had to rip the spines apart which just left holes everywhere. I tossed it quick.

I also had a hollow stump ornament with plants attached. The plants all came off pretty quickly. The outside was fine otherwise but the inside was painted a dark green and had a lot of chipping paint and slime build up. I cleaned it with hot water regularly for the slime until I realized the paint was chipping, then it got tossed.
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote