Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #231 
Kone Killer

Arggg!! That is a cool looking soldier too!!! What a shame!! Why do they make it out of that kind of stuff?!?!?!
I would think the good old fashioned modeling clay fired with a fish safe epoxy, and call it good would be cheaper and easier...

Ohh well, he would make a good fish food holder....
Kone Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #232 
Tress

I'm curious, I've heard it mentioned that you have to be careful when using real driftwood. What are some safe kinds of woods to use?

Also, what are some of the fish safe epoxy/sealants and materials? specifically betta safe. I've seen and heard of people making stuff with the crafting mesh and (normal?) hot glue. I'd like to do some myself, since it's a heck of a lot cheaper than trial and error with store bought junk.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #233 
mobius981

I have used 100% silicone sealant ($5 at Lowes) marked "aquarium safe" for various projects for the tank. I just make sure it dries for 24-48 hours before putting it in the tank...there still could be VOCs. It dries clear. There is a great DIY thread on the forum...http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=245289 that is a good place to ask these questions, I think. there are also several threads about driftwood preparation is you do a search.

Last edited by mobius981; 06-07-2014 at 11:36 AM.
mobius981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #234 
Tress

VOC's?
If find it let me know. There are a lot of pages of forums to sift through lol
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #235 
Galaxy

Yellow Submarine

So, I was looking at the different ornaments, and decided to go with the yellow submarine at Petsmart. It has lots of holes to swim through, so I thought my fish would love it. There were a few rough edges, but nothing to bad. I figured I might try to file them down when I got home.

A few hours later of filing...the edges are as bad or worse than as before, and I can't make any progress with them. Aaaaand, the yellow submarine smells awful after being filed. I wouldn't put anything that smelled that way in a tank.

(On closer inspection at home, the edges were worse than I thought...)

Really, practically all the ornaments at the pet store have rough edges, or holes that are to small, or something...*sigh* I'm so fed up with the things sold at the pet store chains.

Here it is:

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/orn...rm%3Dsubmarine

It's super cute, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. :(
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #236 
RussellTheShihTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
I'm curious, I've heard it mentioned that you have to be careful when using real driftwood. What are some safe kinds of woods to use?

Also, what are some of the fish safe epoxy/sealants and materials? specifically betta safe. I've seen and heard of people making stuff with the crafting mesh and (normal?) hot glue. I'd like to do some myself, since it's a heck of a lot cheaper than trial and error with store bought junk.
It's always good to know the source of the wood and prepare it before you put in your aquarium.

I boil my Cholla for 5-10 minutes; soak in treated water for 10 or more before I put in my tank. Cholla is either Cholla cactus wood or roots. It takes longer to saturate and sink than "water" driftwood and has fewer tannins.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-17-2014 at 12:12 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #237 
JoeyBee

This is the Top Fin Rocket Aquarium Ornament

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/decor-gr...pfm%3Dcategory

Not sure if this has been posted or not. Bought it at PetSmart the other day. The paint chipped REALLY BAD and quickly too. I freaked out, cleaned the tank and threw it out immediately!!! Please stay away from this one guys!
JoeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #238 
ZoZoe

Oh my gosh!! I Really wish I had read this thread earlier!! I bought two decorations , a floating log and 3 silk plants from petsmart. Urghghgh

I'm immediately going to return the ones I bought and go to a LFS and purchase natural driftwood. None of them smelled particularly bad but my water does seem a bit cloudier. I don't know if its the cycling or WHAT, I'm not risking it.

For reference I bought the zoo med floating log, and this cave. I can't find a pic of the third one but it is in a picture on my "Hello New Betta Keeper" Thread if you're wondering. He loves hiding in all 3 but I'm not going to risk it. I'll just return them, get my money and invest toward driftwood. Now I'm gonna goto my tank and take those out and inspect those silk plants and make sure they aren't wired >_< Argh!

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-g...pfm%3Dcategory

Last edited by ZoZoe; 07-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
ZoZoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #239 
ZoZoe

I cut open the bottom stem of one of my silk plants and I'm pretty sure it's metal wire. They are hidden in that black rubbery base that is meant to be buried but this one came loose when I was unpacking it so I figured id have a look see. What do you guys think? I have two more of these in the tank still, should
I keep it?
Attached Images

ZoZoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #240 
mart

I wouldn't. It's not the pointed part that would deter me as much as the metal being in the water.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote