Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #21 
thisismydesign

Skull Gazer Update:

The slime coat thing on the skull is slowly coming back. I'm dissapointed. Overall I love the skull (the look of it, the size, and how it's smooth) so I'm kinda upset. Now I have to buy one from another brand online and ship it to me. Ugh, I'm on a very limited budget, Penn Plax, but you probably don't care.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #22 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Other members have posted Spongebob's pineapple by none other than Penn Plax.

What's dangerous about the pineapple? I really wanted this, but I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive, now I'm glad I didn't. I was going to try to find it cheaper online, but I won't now.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
What's dangerous about the pineapple? I really wanted this, but I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive, now I'm glad I didn't. I was going to try to find it cheaper online, but I won't now.
It used to contain metal. I don't know if they've changed it (I'd heard that maybe they have).
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #24 
JamieL

I wonder if they have, on the petco website it says "Made of non-toxic, fish-safe materials and colors". It's on sale, but I still don't know if I should chance it. I just bought a new tank and I need more decor though.

Also, my other tank has the hammock and I haven't had an issue, I just bought a new one and it clearly has no metal anywhere, only plastic, even where the suction cup attaches. It seems flimsier than the other one, I wonder if zoo med changed this item too.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #25 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
the offending ornament

Smells like paint when soaked in room temp water.
I have this same ornament, and mine doesn't smell like paint at all. Kind of weird there. I've had it for several months now too.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #26 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
I have this same ornament, and mine doesn't smell like paint at all. Kind of weird there. I've had it for several months now too.
I just bought this last week, they may've change something, or it's a bad batch.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #27 
invincible4372

I don't understand why you'd place an ornament in a hydrogen peroxide bath... Are you testing to see if the ornament would get oxidized? Or perhaps to clean it? I feel like that wouldn't be safe to put into a tank. After it's been placed in the bath, a layer of coating may get stripped exposing toxins or paint. Am I being too paranoid?
invincible4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #28 
Stone

Yes it goes away, just double the curing time of the paint/clearcoat, if you really want to you can let it cure then let it soak in a bucketof declorinated water for a few days
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #29 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Yes it goes away, just double the curing time of the paint/clearcoat, if you really want to you can let it cure then let it soak in a bucketof declorinated water for a few days
great! Thank you, Stone!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #30 
Stone

and I do not care that whoever makes the ornament and say the stuff is non toxic, i still do not want my fish eating paint chips in my case with the water we have it always seems to make it bubble and peel off I definately do not want my bristlenose plecos eating all that paint
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote