Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #321 
ArcticBeauty14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailmint View Post
Sometimes there's a metal wire in the leaf. Bend the leaf and if it stays, it's got a wire. If not-it does not have a wire. If there's a wire-just remove it and you'll be good to go. Mine had one and I removed the wire, it's just fine now.
Okay, thanks, I'll tell her to see!
ArcticBeauty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #322 
Aeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
I owe this thread a huge thank-you...

I had two betta leaf hammocks in my tank...one had the wire and one didn't, the one with the wire was starting to rust and I hadn't even noticed it. I threw it out. Who knows what harm that could have done.

I also had the plant on the left:

I took out the wire just now. Wasn't rusted, thank goodness. I put the plant back together just fine without it, which leaves me to wonder...why do these companies even bother to use wire when the plant works just fine without it? unless your betta is a huge monster and insists on ramming into it, the plant doesn't need a wire in it to stay stable.

Now after reading this thread, I'm really worried about two of the new decorations I bought for Flareon...the pink trees here. I haven't noticed anything yet, and the stems of the flowers(?) don't have any wire, and Flareon seems to like swimming on top of them and his fins look fine...but I guess I will have to check for any paint peeling.

i have that tree and tore off all the flowers cuz they were hard plastic
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #323 
VivianKJean

Anyone have this decor?

I bought this today at Petsmart. Its by Topfin (yes, I know I'm taking a risk but I saved the receipt and tag so I can return it if needed).

The current decor (minus the silk plants) are 15 years old and I've never had any issues with them. A few months ago I bought some rock thing from petco, soaked it for 48 hours and it paint was peeling and it REEKED so I've kinda avoided all store bought decor since.

However, I really liked the look of this and one of my tanks needs some type of cave.

its currently soaking in a bucket of old tank water and I'm going to leave it in there for at least 2 weeks.

However, I was wondering if anyone else has this and can tell me if it is safe or not.

Thanks!
Attached Images

VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #324 
ZippetyDoo

Has anyone ever had problems with these decorations? I'm looking for a hiding spot for African dwarf frogs.
http://t.petco.com/product/121411/Pe...-Ornament.aspx
http://t.petco.com/product/121022/Ro...th-Plants.aspx

Last edited by ZippetyDoo; 08-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
ZippetyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #325 
TripleChrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippetyDoo View Post
Has anyone ever had problems with these decorations? I'm looking for a hiding spot for African dwarf frogs.
http://t.petco.com/product/121411/Pe...-Ornament.aspx
http://t.petco.com/product/121022/Ro...th-Plants.aspx

I highly recommend just plastic, real or silk plants for ADF's and small Terracotta pots (I have raised ADF's for over a year now). I am not sure about those hideaways, but the plants and pots are what I have always used for them.
TripleChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #326 
ZippetyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleChrome View Post
I highly recommend just plastic, real or silk plants for ADF's and small Terracotta pots (I have raised ADF's for over a year now). I am not sure about those hideaways, but the plants and pots are what I have always used for them.
I have three silk plants in the tank already and planned on getting a few more. I was shopping for a premade cave because the PVC pipe cave I was trying to make ended up looking really ugly and I didn't know if I still wanted to use it. Also, has anyone ever bought this stone bridge from Petsmart? It looks really cool, but I'm hesitant to buy it...
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/ornamen...ar_id=36-17466
ZippetyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #327 
TripleChrome

I have posted this before,but I am posting again for the people who haven't seen me post this a few pages back.

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/orn...t=pfm%3Dsearch

I have this for my betta Leo, and just went back a few weeks ago to get one for each of my African Dwarf frogs homes. Four of them. The frogs love to sit up in the canopy of leaves the trees make, and Leo loves to lay in the leaves, and it is safer than a betta bed with the wire. (My frogs are all separate from each other and my bettas).

The only thing about this is it has a string in the middle with laundry ornaments on it. Just cut that off and throw the string away, but you can keep the ornaments for something else.

Overall, this is something that TopFin has made that has never chipped, stunk or had slime on it.
TripleChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #328 
Aeon

does anyone know of any spray sealant or something I could brush on in order to take regular ortanments (sry I just cant spell) fish safe??????
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #329 
SabastiansMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCheeksMum View Post
This is a great idea to have this list, I would have added this sooner if I knew it was here.
Paint peals off this betta log after a few weeks....

I took this picture when I noticed it and sure enough it was all threw the rocks when I cleaned the tank right after snapping this picture. And it was to late for Vincent :(

I also wanted to add my experience with the pineapple and squidwards house... I have both in my sons tank. I've had them in there since early November and they have been fine. No pealing, no weird smell, no slime. They must have fixed their issue? The only thing I had to do was file around the holes a little to get rid of a few sharp edges.
I too have the betta log that you have and mine is fine as well. Wanted something for Nick to hide in and instead he curls up behind the intake tube and stays there. He can get off of it by himself but he just likes it there.
SabastiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #330 
Reccka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doting Mama View Post
I bought the short orange one from Petco for my boy. It is quite sharp on the inside but figured if it passed the soak test I would try to sand that down some. It did not pass. I soaked it in some water for 2 days, checked it today and there was an oily swirl in the water and a bunch of paint chips were floating around it. It went right in the garbage!
Sorry for nerco'ing here, but I just wanted to emphasize how bad these towers are too. I got suckered into buying them from Petco on clearance. I bought a taller brown one and a short orange one. The taller brown one started leeching chemicals into my tank. My betta started acting strangely and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out it was this piece of junk. It's now going into the trash where it belongs. It made an oily swirl on the top of my water and turned my naturak colored sand black! So mad they're allowed to sell this junk.
Reccka is online now   Reply With Quote