Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #31 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I just bought this last week, they may've change something, or it's a bad batch.

That could be too.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #32 
thisismydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible4372 View Post
I don't understand why you'd place an ornament in a hydrogen peroxide bath... Are you testing to see if the ornament would get oxidized? Or perhaps to clean it? I feel like that wouldn't be safe to put into a tank. After it's been placed in the bath, a layer of coating may get stripped exposing toxins or paint. Am I being too paranoid?
It was to clean it and to kill any bacteria that was causing the white slime to grow. It was 50% hydrogen Peroxide and 50% water. After that was done I rinsed it really well in hot water then let it dry. The slime slowly grew back so it didn't fully work.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #33 
invincible4372

(Disclaimer about my reply: I'm only a student in the health field. I'm not a doctor or a professional. I'm just sharing what I learned in my classes. Also, I am not trying to degrade or demean anyone who has used this method. I just want to share my opinion)

For using Hydrogen Peroxide as a cleaning agent for your decorations, I don't think a 50:50 solution would be safe. That ratio is used to clean toilets and such. Especially if the concentrations of the original bottle is different. There are like 3% and etc., and if you used a strong concentration, it could have been deadly. I heard that people don't use soap to clean the tanks or their decor. I don't either. You don't want traces of hydrogen peroxide in your water. I'm not a professional chemist and what I'm saying may not be true. It may not be as strong as chlorine bleach or ammonia solution. But it is still dangerous. I suggest just cleaning things with hot water to kill any bacteria. It won't be as squeaky clean as using peroxide, but it's your safest bet. The slime could have been anything; not necessarily bacteria. As a cleaning agent around the house, for toilets and sinks, peroxide is excellent. It's a death trap to any microscopic organism that's alive. But to use around children or pets, I wouldn't risk it. I really wouldn't. I apologize if I sounded as if I thought I was better than anyone. I just wanted to share what I learned from school.
invincible4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #34 
Skyewillow

Hot water is suspected to cause the sealing coat to degrade and release toxins into the water. Bleach CAN be used in low doses, but needs soaking in dechlorinated water afterwards.

Vinegar is a good product to use, since it sterilizes but isn't harsh. Again, ornaments cleaned with this product need to be rinsed.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #35 
Skyewillow

Bad luck:

This one started to smell today
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #36 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post

I have heard multiple accounts of this having a metal wire in it that will GUT their fish if they lay on it. I've obviously never bought it.
Oh my gosh, I'm going to take that out of my fish's tank right now! I knew I should have read the reviews!
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #37 
Stone

the leaf hammock I have several of them, I have never looked to see if there is a wire in them or not, I have never had an issue with them, I have not seen an exposed wire on any of them, I am starting to think this one is more urban legend than fact
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #38 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
the offending ornament

Smells like paint when soaked in room temp water.
I stand corrected, I had it separate from the other decorations (just always assumed it was a fish smell) and it definitely smells like paint. I feel bad for letting it stay in my tank for so long; it's now out though. Don't need it to cause any troubles for my fish long-term.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #39 
NorthernLights

leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
the leaf hammock I have several of them, I have never looked to see if there is a wire in them or not, I have never had an issue with them, I have not seen an exposed wire on any of them, I am starting to think this one is more urban legend than fact
I don't know if they really do gut people's fish, but they definately can rust. I've owned 3, none of which had visible wires. I pulled the wire out of the first one after a couple of months after I started seeing rust near the base of the leaf. The wire was very rusted. The other two I had to work to get the wires out (they were pretty well in there), but I did that before they went in the tank and it saved me a lot of worry. I have two other ZooMed plants that had metal stems and needed wire removal (the suction cup bamboo fronds).

Also, I bought a nice silk plant made by Top Fin a couple of months ago, only to discover when I got it home that the stem was metal. It fell apart when I tried to remove it.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #40 
jeano

I think they changed the design of the leaf hammock. They used to have wire(and probably still some out there) but mine have no wires and only plastic. I think a good way to tell is that if you bend it, does it stay bent? Then you probably have a wire one.
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote