Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #81 
percyfyshshelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeNC1 View Post
I have this in my tank! And my betta loves it, I don't see a wire so I hope they're safe now
I just bought a couple more of these, and completely destroyed one trying to get the wire out.... And there was no wire. So that's good if theyve changed the design. The wire free ones are a bit more floppy but still stiff enough to support a weary betta.

Oh the pix didn't post. We're talking about the betta hammocks.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #82 
Samijo

I went to Walmart today to pick up some new decorations for Bert. When I got home I soaked the small castle in hot water.. It smelled like spray paint.. (Sorry for the blurry picture.)
Attached Images

Samijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #83 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samijo View Post
I went to Walmart today to pick up some new decorations for Bert. When I got home I soaked the small castle in hot water.. It smelled like spray paint.. (Sorry for the blurry picture.)
who makes that? I have the green and it did the same thing. I've sprayed it 3 times with krylon fusion, and it still stinks.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #84 
BittyB

All this thread confirms to me is Im not buying any decorations that are sold by these large companies. I think a lot of you having bad troubles with these things should maybe think of a different route like going DIY or getting creative in using non aquarium items that are for sure safe material and not painted (IE - a wood carving you can water log, a stone carving, etc).

I am definitely not trusting them nor thinking having a cute decor is worth a mishap. Too worrisome for me.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #85 
Samijo

Skyewillow To be honest I'm not sure. I should have been paying more attention. I seen it and thought it was cute. Next time I'm just going to go with a plant or something not painted. I got a little sign there to that said "No Fishing" And after it got done soaking, some of the paint rubbed off... So if you buy from Walmart, be careful!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #86 
GeorgeNC1

How long does a decoration need to soak in hot water? I have a couple of painted decorations in my tank, I did not soak them because I hadn't seen this thread yet and didn't know of the danger. So far they look fine inside the tank
GeorgeNC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #87 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyB View Post
All this thread confirms to me is Im not buying any decorations that are sold by these large companies. I think a lot of you having bad troubles with these things should maybe think of a different route like going DIY or getting creative in using non aquarium items that are for sure safe material and not painted (IE - a wood carving you can water log, a stone carving, etc).

I am definitely not trusting them nor thinking having a cute decor is worth a mishap. Too worrisome for me.
You have to be careful with wood and stone too, things like pine will poison your tank, and some stones will change your water parameters. So it's not always as easy as going with all natural decor. Usually it is the safer bet though.

I went DIY on some of my decor, and I've had a lot of fun with it.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #88 
BettaBelle983

Marina Plastic Thermometer with Suction Cup

I just came back into my room from eating dinner and cleaning up. I went to check on Moony. I found him trapped vertically in between the thermometer and the tank wall. I have given a link to the exact one I had in the tank.

I'm sure he might of gotten himself out since he got in but I'm not taking that chance.

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Plastic...5139092&sr=1-9

I'm thinking of purchasing this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23736 or one like I had before: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=3921

But I'll stay far away from the top one.
BettaBelle983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #89 
HeadlessLegoMom

I read a post on here about a betta that somehow broke the thermometer and eating the stuff inside, so I got a digital thermometer by Zoo Med with a suction cup that I am very happy with...
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #90 
Samijo

I went to petsmart today, and got a few new decorations for Bert...This smelled like spray paint so bad.. I'm glad at lest two out of the three decorations was good...
Attached Images