Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #1 
ScarlettLetter86

Betta in 29 gallon tank is MISERABLE!!

Hey ya'll Im new, and I have questions. I am not new to bettas, at one point I was mom to 8 separate tanks, all heated and filtered. But my newest love is a little red and blue veil tail name Optimus. I had him in my 29 gallon tank and he was miserable. I have never known a betta to hunker down and be so depressed. He was laying on the bottom with his little gills just heaving, and his color went from super vibrant to a pasty greyish version. I was worried. So I put him in a medium breeder box that just floats inside the tank. His color is back and better than ever, he likes to chill on top of his moss balls, and he's put weight on, because he was super skinny. Anyway, I've noticed that the bottom of his little box gets really dirty and I worry that the water is stagnating. So my question would be, what hood can I use to add another HOB filter, and what can I do to keep Opi's box from stagnating. He's not very old and I'd like to keep him around and happy for at least another four years.
So I need:
To know what hood would allow for two hob filters, one a 40 gallon, and another 20 gallon.
And...Is there a better way to keep a betta in a larger tank? There's no option to get another tank and I'd really like to keep a few more bettas in the same tank (In another box maybe?) Unless that would be detrimental to the betta I have. I have a community tank so sectioning the tank would be impossible. I was looking into doing a Marine large breeder box, but you can't have a hood with those, so what solutions would make that a real option for me?

Sorry that this is so long winded, but this is my first tank that was larger than a five gallon single fish tank.

Last edited by ScarlettLetter86; 07-12-2013 at 04:44 AM.
ScarlettLetter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there!

So I want to first say that you can't put two male Betta's together and you cannot have a few females in with a male. You can have all females and be fine but you can't mix the sexes and expect them to be content.

And here's what I think is happening to him when he's in the big tank:

Betta's are scared of big open waters by nature, they live in Rice Paddies which consists of very tall plants EVERYWHERE lol so literally they're gliding through plant stems all day long in their little territories, not really too many big spaces there.

So what happens when a Betta is introduced to a tank that has lots of big wide spaces? They kind of freak out! Now, it's not the size of the tank that matters but what you put in it they can have a freak out in a completely bare 5 gallon as well but be extremely content in a densely planted 45 gallon tank. So if you want him back in there, you just have to add lots of ornaments and silk plants. Nothing plastic as they will rip the fins as I'm sure you know. But lots of silk plants would be great, live plants being an even better choice if you could! But that's a big step.

To answer another question, breeder boxes still have flow going through them but they don't just push all the poop and stuff out of it because it has slits in the sides. You still have to clean out the breeder boxes, preferably with a Turkey Baster to clean up the bottom of it. So there's no need for another filter if you just get a turkey baster to spot clean his little box.

If you wanted to keep him in there, you should get him a few small silk plants or some Java Fern and Anubias as they are smaller, slow growing, easy low light plants for him to rest on and play in. They don't need to be planted either, they will just attach to the box after a while or you can anchor it down with a rock, that might be a better choice.

But that's all I've got for now. Feel free to ask more questions and what not
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 
Nicci Lu

+1 lilnaugrim explained it beautifully. Lots of plants and hidey holes are imperative to break up the space and make your betta feel more secure.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Also, if your new betta went straight from one of those store cups to a 29g, you probably blew his mind. Imagine the difference between what he's lived in all his life to a 29! What I've begun doing when putting a new betta in a bigger tank, is leaving him in a breeder box that is within the larger tank for two days. Let the betta slowly get used to what he's seeing. It seems that by the time I put them in the tank, their curiosity has overridden their fear and they're just dying to get out and check out their new surroundings.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah thanks Nicci!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #6 
Lucubration

I just let my male betta out of his breeder box into his new 20 gal planted tank. He did exactly the same sulk even though he'd technically been in that tank for five days or so in the breeder box. He actually got so still at one point I was afraid he'd had a heart attack and died!

When I left the room and returned a short while later, however, he was near the top slowly cruising past a female in *her* breeder box in full flare (his first; so cute), and she was going nuts striping up for him. He also quickly found a few hiding spots behind rocks and among plant leaves.

I think the most important thing to help a betta enjoy a new tank is that they have interesting things to check out and a safe refuge they can retreat to so as to feel hidden and protected.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #7 
Riverotter

Some just seem to be agoraphobic. I've got a couple of new guys today, most of them are enjoying their nice big spaces. But I've got a crowntail who is only happy in a little space. It happens

Lilnaugrim covered how to keep his box nice. You could try another male free-swimming in the same tank. So long as they can't get to each other, they'll be fine, lots of people keep bettas in divided tanks.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

You can get those QT or breeding boxes that actually hang on the side of a large tank. They are slotted on the bottom to let waste out. I'm going that route for a few of my males. They are gonna hang out in the sorority tank.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #9 
ScarlettLetter86

thank you everyone!! I am well aware that you cannot have to male bettas together with out a separator, as they would fight to the death...and after my first attempt to breed went bad...I've never had a wish to put to bettas of either sex together in a tank with out something in between them.

My tank is a bare bottom tank, yes, but I do have a lot of silk plants, caves, hidey holes, and other interesting things for him to poke at. I have no idea how to post a picture or I would put one up for y'all to see. I have a community tank, but no other bettas as of yet, I've got five glo tetras (white skirts), they are super hardy little fish, I've got three harlequins. My school was bigger, but they started dieing off little by little and I'm thinking its because we got them at petsmart (or petstupid as the hubby likes to call them.) I've also got some version of a catfish...I have no idea what he is, my lfs owner tossed him in as a freebie and didn't tell me what he was. I've got a mystery snail, and thats everybody. In the breeder box where I'm keeping Opi, I've got a silk leaf suctioned to the wall and two small marimo moss balls in the bottom. He seems to be really happy, but I was thinking about upgrading to the Marina large breeder box. Had anyone used this for bettas? Does it work?

Also it was mentioned that live plants would be a good idea...but my tank is bare bottomed and I refuse to go back to gravel. Its nothing but a poop catcher and its disgusting. So I've been scouring the internet to find out more about potted plants in bb tanks. Do any of you have any tips or tricks for this, or should I just jump in blind and see what happens? I'm on a tight budget, but I'm willing to try anything to keep my pets happy. After all I'm the one who put them in that tank anyway. Might as well keep 'em in good water with good things to poke at.

Also I have a question regarding this catfish. He's small, about five inches long head to tip of tail, and he's dark brown with black spots all over. He looks a lot like the URL below body wise, but he's much much darker and he's got pinhead spots, not patterning. I'll try to post a vid on my you tube channel, just to help y'all out a little. If anyone can tell me what he is I'd consider it a bonus. Thanks you guys, you are really wonderful people helping me out.

http://bluegrassaquatics.com/media/c...CE_REGULAR.jpg
ScarlettLetter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLetter86 View Post
Also it was mentioned that live plants would be a good idea...but my tank is bare bottomed and I refuse to go back to gravel. Its nothing but a poop catcher and its disgusting.
You could try sand. Poop will stay on top of the sand, so it's easy to vacuum out. Also, if you have enough live plants, the plants will actually use the waste as nutrients. When I had gravel with plants, I didn't worry too much about getting all the waste out because I knew the plants would use it. Or, you could do plants that don't need to be rooted. Hornwort, frogbit, duckweed- they all just float. Anubias and java fern can simply be tied to hardscape items.

Of course, with live plants, you have to start thinking about the right kind of lighting.