Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #1 
crowntailbettalover

Post betta breeding tips

i have had an amazing experience with almost all fish. my family happens 2 be a fish loving family and im the same. my personal biggest experience is bettas.
1. to breed a betta, buy a healthy female and male. make sure u no their age.breeding age=no more that 1 and ahalf yrs old. starting 2 be more is harder 2 breed or cant breed. 9 months is best.dont buy the female 2 smaller or larger than the male. about half his size. abit bigger like half a cm.
2. let the male start building his bubble nest and finishing it.
3. when he is finished, introduce them by putting them in the same tank but seperate by a glass screen or plastic. after 3 hours, take away the screen. if he tears or hurt her 2 badly seperate them. if he wrap himself around her after nipping or kinda biting her, sperate them. wait till u can see eggs inside of her then take away the screen if from b4 he wrapped himself around her.
4. might be a bit more nipping and biting but if her wraps himself aroung her get ready to take her out. he will squeeze all of the eggs out. then when he lets go to pick up the egg take her out.
5. u should be expecting about 100 babies. some dont survive. in about 3 days the eggs hatch. u should get abot 90 small bowls. about 2 in. from bottom to up and across.
6. keep the male with the babies for 2 days. u should breed in a medium size tank. put the male in a diff container than female.
7. boil eggs and take the boiled yolk and smash it. put in a small portion of the smashed yolk.
8. in about a week take out the babies and put them in their own container.(2 in. width, height, and length.
9. enjoy ur babies. remember, some dont survive. u could sell them at 3 month old. good enough profit. u can rebreed ur bettas a couple more time with each other but follow these same steps. u can reuse the bowls 2! enjoy
crowntailbettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #2 
veganchick

wait, a bowl with a 2" diameter? for a betta? even petsmart doesn't stoop that low!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would think at least a gallon sized container until they can be moved to a larger, permanent home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #4 
veganchick

I agree with DQ on this one! how much research did u do?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It takes a LOT of research and planning to breed bettas.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #6 
veganchick

Ya, it takes a ton of research to bread all fish, and even more for aggressive species such as bettas!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #7 
Livelifelaughlove

NO NO NO NO NO!!! Did you look this up at all?!?! this is NOT all correct...
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #8 
Kim

You can NOT just put two bettas in together and let them breed. They will likely kill eachother. It takes careful conditioning of both bettas so that the female can produce eggs and they will both be ready to breed before you even attempt to breed them.

While I have heard of that size containers before, I absolutely, 100% do NOT agree with it at all. If I breed I will use 2.5 gallon containers for the fry, and I would say 1 gal minimum while they are still small, and as DQ said, this is a temporary arrangement.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #9 
Cody

You would also have to get the fish from a breeder and not a pet store. Most pet store bettas are already too old to breed or have some sort of disease.

And its more like 250 babies... not 100.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you definitely need for the parents to be healthy.