Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #1 
FishFaceMartin

Red face Max number of female bettas in 10 gallon?

Hey, everybody! I'm Savannah. I'm new to bettafish.com and new to bettas/fish in general, so please bear with me in my newbieness. I've always LOVED fish and have always wanted to get some, but I haven't really gotten the money or the time together to get some until now. Upon searching for my perfect first fish and for other fishy information, I FELL IN LOVE with the Betta fish. I have my 10 gallon tank all set up and everything, and I plan to get some bettas tomorrow.

The question is how many female Bettas can I put in my 10 gallon? Petsmart says 5-6, but on here no one seems to have more than 3 put together at once. Do Bettas get irritated in big crowds? I'm hoping to put only 3 or 4 in there together. Will this work? And if so, is there anything I should be careful of?

Oh, and if I have 3 or 4 in my ten gallon, how often and of what percentages should I do water changes? I've read up in this area, but I'm getting varying answers and am confused.

Answers will be much appreciated!
FishFaceMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. You can have 4 females in a ten gallon tank. The tank should have plenty of hiding places. Females can be aggressive so you need to have places for them to hide to get away from each other. There may be some nipping and fighting for the first few days or so, then they will estalish a pecking orderYou'll have to keep an eye on them at this time to make sure things don't get too rough. .Someone else will have to advise you on the water changes. I don't have a 10 gallon myself so I have no idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #3 
Kim

Welcome to fishforum!

Do you know how to cycle your tank? Is is cycled already? If not you'll need to wait before you get fish unfortunately, but trust me that it is worth it in the end to do a fishless cycle (much kinder to the fish and you won't loose any of them). A cycled tank should get around 20-25% changes weekly, but this can change depending on the # of fish and the amount of waste that they produce.

Actually, more bettas mean that aggression will be spread out better. You never want to put only a few bettas together because the more dominant one will bully the other to an unhealthy and sometimes deadly level. I'd say 5 should be good for a 10 gallon. Keeping a sorority is tricky though, so you'll need to be very careful for some time and read up about it a LOT. You'll also need separate containers for the girls should one end up being too aggressive and need to be separated or one become sick or injured. These containers should be able to be heated.

When you do buy your fish, watch out for plakat (short finned bettas) males, which are sometimes mislabeled as females.

Feel free to ask more questions. I hope this helps ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

haha i wrote this long post (basically what kim said) and i hit a button by accident,gone! Anyways,welcome to the forum. Um yeah read up on cycling. If you dont have the bettas already,do the fishless cycling. Be alot easier in the long run. Does take awhile to get there,but its totally worth it!

Umm i know nothing of female bettas,but i do want one! Watch me end up with a plakat like Kim says haha. This is a great place,so enjoy your stay!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

If I ever get a 10 gallon, I'd like to try a sorority. And I will cycle it! lol
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #6 
Cody

IMO, 4 females in a 10G. Do a WC once a week, 20-25%, or as needed.

And a Tip: Never listen to any LFS, nonetheless a LPS like Petsmart. Ever.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Unless you know for a fact that the person knows what they're talking about.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #8 
Cody

Not even then. I am good friends with both owners of my LFS, but would NEVER take their word on anything. Period. They just want a sale. It's business.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #9 
Kim

Oh, and I forgot to add that you will want to heavily plant/decorate your tank. You'll also want lots of hiding places and caves. This is so you can break up sight lines, let them establish their territories, and give them a place to hide. If you want to add a new female to an established sorority you will need to completely redecorate the tank to break up territories that can cause extreme cases of aggression beyond the normal bickering over postition in the hierachy.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have had a person at my Petsmart that could have sold me all kinds of meds for a sick betta but they told me not to buy meds but to keep the water very clean and that would be better than medicine.So I don't think they are ALL just interested in sales.