Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 
FireKidomaru

Question Bettas in college

Hey guys :) long time no see ^.^
I have a quick question about bettas in college. I am going out of state for college, and I would love to take my two bettas with me because they make me soooo happy :) anyway, does anyone have suggestions about this subject...like can you bring bettas on planes, how do I care for them when I leave for Christmas, how do I convince my mom to let me take them if it works out. Also, any personal stories regarding this topic would be helpful!
Thanks a ton guys!
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

Welcome back!!!

I am wondering if you can even take them on the plane. Definitely find out before you go. You don't want to find out last minute that you can't take them.
Another suggestion if you can't take them on the plain you can mail them, just like breeders do that. It probably a lot of people on this forum who can help you with advice how to mail them.

I would check the water parameters in the new place before you put them in. Make sure the water is safe. You can use spring water until you find out that water is safe.

Introduce them slowly to the water in your new place just in case it really different that they already used to.
If that college water parameters safe you can slowly introduce them to it. Unfortunately you can't bring the water from home to mix it with new water to make them slowly used to it. But if you will use spring water for example mix it 50/50 with tap water for a few days then slowly do a few 25% water changes before you will do full water change. And even if your college water is safe take long time to acclimate them to the new water. Just in case if Ph or hardness is very different that they already used to.

Can your mom take care of them if you cannot take them?

Not sure how big are the tanks but they will be fine even for 4-7 days without food and water changes. Just do water change right before you leave for the brake time. Never use feeders. If you can take them on the planes then i would take them home during the long brakes. If weather warm then you don’t have a problem.
In the cold weather i guess if you also can take them if you don't have to stand outside in the cold weather. May be just take some kind of backed or some kind plastic container that has a handle and you can fit them in , put cloth around them to keep them warm and make sure the cups don't slide around.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1 to everything Anhel has said!

Also make sure that your college allows pets, I know at my uni we're only allowed tanks under 5 gallons but you can have two small ones, it's weird idk. It's a good thing I commute lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

I just tried to google it and found this link may be it will give some tips
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9082909AA3YAoL
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 
BettaLover1313

Definitely check up on your college's policy on pets. Mine allows one tank of a max of 10 gallon per person.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #6 
FireKidomaru

Thank you for all the posts! My college does allow tanks for fish (not a 100% sure About all the details, but i know I can house my two bettas in my dorm room without problem) the tricky part is getting them there. I fly out for college early to do a research program, but my parents are driving out two weeks later to meet me. So technically getting my two fishies there is no problem. It's just getting them home/ through breaks when I fly home instead of drive. My mom can take care of them, however I really don't trust her. She doesn't share the same love for my bettas as I do, and she gets tired of them very easily. It just makes me nervous. Also thanks for all the tips regarding water! I would hate to get my fishies up to college then have them die due to bad water :( I will keep brainstorming. Thanks again!!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #7 
mushumouse

i know that feeling... long before i found this forum, when i was a teen, i had three different bettas in succession in one-gallon bowls. unfortunately every summer i had to leave on a family summer vacation for two weeks, and the family friend who watched our pets for us loved animals TOO much- she's a nice lady, but if an animal looks hungry she will absolutely feed it until it either stops begging or dies. so there went my bettas, one after another, every year! with your mom, do you call her frequently (or do you not call her frequently and she complains about how you never call :P)? perhaps you can set up a system where when you call her every other night, you can ask her to feed your bettas while you two are talking on the phone. if you don't trust her to take care changing the water or feeding them regularly, that should at least keep them alive for two weeks.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 
FireKidomaru

My mom can take are of them by like feeding them, it's water changes that scare me :/ I'm afraid that she won't have time to change the water and give them some attention. I really just want to take them to college with me
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

For how long you will live on summer or winter breakers?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 
Namialus

I think you should try taking them to college since you're not going to be gone for just a week or two, probably a semester, right?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote