Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 
kvw1988

My head says no....

But my heart says go get the little guy!!!

Ok so this morning I went to the petstore because I'm moving in a couple weeks and I needed new cups to put my bettas in for the move. Naturally I went to go look at them, they're cute I couldn't resist.

I saw this poor fish, I don't even know what color he's supposed to be but he's a dull grey with some blue and yellow hue to him with stress stripes, clamped fins, mild fin rot, and the dirty cup. What got to me though was when I first walked up he didn't really do anything,then he noticed I was paying attention to him and he went nuts, he really wanted to come home with me. I'm hoping somebody who knows what they're doing will take him home and nurse him back to health but I feel bad.

Like I said I'm moving in a couple weeks, I have a 20gallon divided but not set up, I'm going to wait until after the move to get it going and then get another fish for it. I thought about getting him a 1 gallon critter keeper, but I didn't realize how small they were and I don't want to keep him in that for a month while we wait to move.

Normally I'm pretty good about talking myself out another fish, I have two to fuss over but this one got to me. Any suggestions? Or should I just hope the right person comes along and gives him a chance?
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #2 
Lamb

He sounds really bad. Do you think he would survive past treatment at this point?
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
kvw1988

Honestly I think he would, I think with warm water and some AQ salt he would be ok. But I see what you're saying, that's why I figured if I got him I'd do the critter keeper, just in case he didn't make it, then I hadn't invested a lot of money on him.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 
Lamb

If you think that he would live, and then thrive afterwards, you can always give it a go! :) Good luck!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 
kvw1988

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #6 
Kittiesdragons

Go for it! A critter keeper is better than a tiny cup!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #7 
Riverotter

Go for it! I have a vibrantly healthy betta in a gallon jar. He started out in there because he had too much fin damage for me to give him anything bigger (poor fellow was swimming with pectorals only, his tail was practically gone :( )
And he's so happy in there and doing so well, that there he stays.
He is one of those bettas that huddles in a corner in a bigger tank, and is totally happy and healthy in his 1G home with regular water changes.

So, you can certainly do better for him then being neglected in a tiny cup
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 
Seki

I'll be honest, I didn't get a betta I wanted and I've regretted it. I even had a dream about the little guy and he named himself in my dream! No joke! But when I went back for him (at the urging of other forum members), he had been adopted. I was crushed... I hadn't realized how much I had wanted him until I couldn't have him.

If you feel you have the resources to adopt the little guy, I say do it!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #9 
BettaLover1313

I say do it, you don't want to regret not doing it. I'm already regretting not picking up one guy, but I may resolve that issue later in August if he's still there.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #10 
kvw1988

I'll go back tomorrow, if he's there I'll get him. Question how do you heat a 1 gallon? It's really hot here now I'm wondering if I'd even need a heater right now.

Last edited by kvw1988; 07-12-2013 at 09:07 PM.