Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 
EdgyWolf

Exclamation Can this new gravel harm my betta?

I went and bought some white gravel to brighten up the tank and it's the sort of gravel where a bunch of particles come off it. Well I rinsed it out as best as I could with warm water. Poured back the old water and did a 50% water change since it needed it. Now I'm wondering if the gravel is bothering him (the particles irritating his gills) or he's just shocked at the new change. My tank is an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5.

What signs should I be looking for in my betta?

I'm pretty iffy on keeping the gravel in the tank now. My betta seems a little off ever since I put him back in it.

Should I change back to the gravel I had before?

Kinda scared here...

This is the gravel I got him: http://www.petco.com/product/115864/...0Gravel-115864

Would like some quick responses in case I need to redo everything now.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

Ok did you wash the old gravel? Well, even if you did, get rid of the new gravel, do a 100% water change, and put the old gravel back in. The reason I asked if it was washed was because that gravel has beneficial bacteria on it that has been built up as long as you have had it.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenBetta View Post
Ok did you wash the old gravel? Well, even if you did, get rid of the new gravel, do a 100% water change, and put the old gravel back in. The reason I asked if it was washed was because that gravel has beneficial bacteria on it that has been built up as long as you have had it.
I havent washed the old gravel yet. It's sitting in a bag right now.

Ugh. I feel so stupid...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

That's ok ha I understand your worry. It's good I always check the unanswered threads. :)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #5 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenBetta View Post
That's ok ha I understand your worry. It's good I always check the unanswered threads. :)
Thanks a bunch for the quick response too!!

I did the 100% water change and put the old gravel back. Just letting it sit for a while right now before I put the big guy in. I'm sure he'll be happier WITHOUT the change.

Sucks that I wasted buying a $4.49 bag of gravel. No biggie though.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 
Lamb

Depending where you bought it, if you have the bag and receipt, you can take it back. Tell them that it had too many fine particles and was harming your fish! Or you could call. Frustrating that they would sell something like that. :/
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 
TheGoldenBetta

Well, at least your fish will be fine now!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #8 
Seki

When you say you rinsed it as well as you could, how many times did you rinse it? You should rinse in a bucket until the water runs clear. It's tedious and time-consuming, but it's very, very necessary. My gravel always gets rinsed no less than 12-15 times. Often more if it needs it.

Second question... was your tank filtered? If it was, did you cycle it? If so, yes, putting all new gravel in will potentially cause a mini-cycle, but if your filter is the same, it should stabilize again. You'll just need to watch it for a few days. If you did not have a filter, then it doesn't matter. The BB won't be colonizing very well because without a filter you should be doing 100% water changes at least once a week in a tank that size.

Third question... when you say your betta is acting "off", what do you mean? Was he acclimated properly after the change? Is the water the right temperature? Did you add all the additives your normally do? I forgot to turn my heater on once after a water change and I shocked my betta with the cold water he ended up being put into. Thankfully, the little guy recovered and was just fine after I plugged the heater back in, but it was a learning experience for me!

Good luck to you! Remember, there is no harm in changing things around in your fish's tank, you just need to be mindful when doing it, that's all!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #9 
jesssan2442

you did remember the water conditioner right? you made sure the water was the same tempature? all the stuff like that? You could have just got a faulty gravel, I've never had a problem with this gravel before!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol reading through this all I can think is: I've never washed any of my gravel or my sand XD the sand I used the water bottle technique and with the gravel I just throw it in, never really washed it before but I never really had many particles in it before either. I usually use Aqua Culture from Wal-mart.

But anyway, doesn't really answer many of your questions though. Since others have new questions, I'll wait to see what comes up to see if anything is wrong with your boy.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote