Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #1 
shroomer

Any Ideas

my friend and her mom, have a few aquariums because they have a snake, a spider, and a turtle, they are all in aquariums but they have an extra that they dont need anymore, they said i could have it but its basically encrusted with algae. my friend said its past the point of being able to scrub it off i was wondering if there is anything that would take it off such as CLR or bleach or vinigar or somthing. and after i used this chemical or w/e if u rinsed it out and rubbed it down well would it be safe for a fish. id like to give skye a little more room, or purchase another betta, hopefully a crown tail. thanks

Last edited by shroomer; 03-25-2009 at 10:41 PM.
shroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #2 

I believe I would try warm water and vinegar with razor blade scraper first. Be careful not to scratch the glass with razor blade or damage the silicone sealant in corners.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #3 
Fishin Pole

This is what i did with a very dirty tank i got a few years ago.............I suggest you do this outside, just because of the smell...........I layed the tank on the side after i sprayed out as much as i could with a garden hose........I then made a solution of ammonia and water (about 1 part to 1 part)........I then took newspaper and soaked it in the ammonia water and layed it on the inside of the tank where all the crud was..........Left it soak in for about an hour or two and then came back and scrubbed it off with a sponge..........It definitely helped because i tried the other side without soaking it and it was alot of scrubbing to get the same results...........I would go this route first before you put anything hard on the glass to scrape it off..............Why take the chance of scratching it up?............This worked for me, hope you have the same results if you try it
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #4 
shroomer

will this ammonia method still work if the tank is acrylic?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #5 

I wouldn't use razor blade on acrylic. I too used ammonia on a tank I got from my brother that was saltwater and incrusted with calcium deposits and or crud. It worked very well but required lot's of rinsing.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #6 
Fishin Pole

i dont want to speak what ammonia would do to acrylic because i have never had an acrylic tank........It could possibly fog it permently if used in too high a ratio........dont know?.............Maybe other members with acrylic tanks can chime in on hwat is safe to use on acrylic........Maybe ammonia water will work, but i cant speak from experience
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #7 
shroomer

lol no worries im just an idiot, i thought it was acrylic but its glass. its a 10G tank i left the gravel in (not sure if its usable since i cleaned it) but i pored 1.8 L of amonnia in and filled the tank about 7/8th full with watr it did a really good job so far i just have to get more ammonia and fill it all the way, while i let the ammonia sit in i put the plants in and swished them around and let them sit. i then took them out wipped them off and put them in a bucket of clean water and shook it vigoriously. i think i am going to use my pressure washer in order to make sure i rinse all the ammonia out of the tank and gravel.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #8 
veganchick

post pics when its finished!!!!!!! :)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote