Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Small algea eater?

What is a betta (sorority) compatible type of algae eater that actually EATS the algae? I have a bristlenose, but it just doesn't seem to keep up. It goes NUTS on cucumber slices, can eat a whole slice in a day. But does not seem so good at surfaces with algae!

I'd ideally like something small that doesn't mind being a loner, as AA says the tank is near capacity. It's a 36G bowfront.

I'm not interested in shrimp - with 12 bettas, I feel it would only be a matter of time till they became snacks.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wait, what else do you have in that tank? Is it just the girls or do you have another schooling fish because there's no way that 12 girls would take up a whole 36.

Anyway you might be able to squeeze a trio of otocinclus in there or you can just get one or two Nerite Snails as long as you have a tight fitting lid, they won't escape and they can't breed in freshwater. But there isn't much in the fish variety that would be loners and are compatible.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 
peachii

Amano shrimp eat all types of algae.

True Siamese algae eaters eat all kind of algae - if you traded your bristlenose for it, it's be about the same difference. That size tank, only one SAE is recommended anyway.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

What kind of algae is it? Otocinclus generally only eat soft green algae/diatoms. If it's something like BBA they won't touch it. A small group of otocinclus may be suitable, provided you can supply them with enough food and your bettas don't bother them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #5 
Shadyr

Looks like hair algae is attracted to my plants, and some green algae on the sides.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

How long are your lights on each day? My 46g kept getting hair alga & BBA, I put the lights at 8 hrs only, I also have a variety of snails (nerites, pond, MTS) & so far the algae is gone. I also don't fertilize very often with liquid ferts, I don't know if there's a connection but there seems to be.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #7 
Shadyr

8 hours for the day lights...but they are on from 3-11 PM, so the tank does get some dim filtered outside light other than that. I'll cut an hour or two off the bright lights and see if that helps.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 
Namialus

Nerite snails were recommended to me here, I think you should get a few for your tank.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote