Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Kind of confused.

There has been so much talk lately about tank size and what is best for bettas and I'm a bit confused by something. Not so much on this site but on another one I used to go to, whenever people posted about their sick bettas, they always said that their bettas were in large, heated, filtered tanks all to themselves. I always thought if they were in large, heated, filtered tanks, with no tankmates, why were they getting all these diseases: columnaris, dropsy, etc. Then, I see other people, myself included, who have kept bettas in smaller containers with no heater and filter and the bettas seemed to live long lives. I had one a couple years ago that was about 4 years old when he died. So I don't understand why it seems like they are getting sick in heated, filtered tanks. Maybe these people were buying sickly bettas to begin with.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #2 

It is in my view,, Quite possible that some are purchasing sick fish given the conditions that these fish are subjected to. Others hang around long enough to observe what water and enviornments most truly knowledgeable folks recommend,and then post their parameters as being Good,OK,Normal, etc.When it may or may not be. They refuse to believe that their particular water parameters,maint routine,or enviornment,has any part in what may be ailing their respective fish when in fact,,All of them play a major role. They are hoping for some miracle medication that will fix the fish ,and they want immediate results.The fish did not become Ill overnight,,It was gradual and thus,fixing the problem that began the gradual decline in the fishes health is the logical place to begin. It is estimated by many ,, that 80 to 90 percent of all fish health problems are directly related to water quality or a lack thereof and in my mind,,IT's simple. Water quality deteriorates very,very,quickly in small tanks,bowls,vases,etc. unless maint of same is religously performed without fail on regular basis. To do otherwise, invites sickness with all fishes. My compliments to those who manage to keep their fish healthy in these small enviornments,,It is a testament to their devotion and dedication. But larger aquariums are always easier to maintain water quality in and it is ultimately the water that dictates the health of the fish.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks for your imput. I never really understood how important water quality was until I came to this site last year. Yeah, it could be that these people aren't telling the truth about their water quality. I admit I have my bettas in smaller containers and I try to keep the water quality the best that I can. I'm also trying to upgrade as I go along so that eventually all my fish will be in at least 2 and a half gallons. My space is kind of limited and so are funds. I am concerned about the fact that only one of my bettas has a heater. This will be worked on, too. I was criticised on another site and told that I was abusing my bettas because they are in smaller containers. I think this was unfair because people don't know my circumstances.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 

I am near certain that you take very good care of the fish in your charge.But judging from the numerous posts regarding sick bettas on this sight,,as well as others,there are plenty of folks that just don't get it.I'ts all very discouraging at times ,which is why I seldom even entertain the thought that I might be able to offer something helpful in regards to bettas. I suspect your bettas are much better off than they were in their little cups at pet.. or wal.. I will always suggest larger tanks however, cause my own observations have made it clear, to me at least,, That very few ,,are able to sustain the effort needed for the long term health of these fish when kept in small enviornments.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree that larger tanks make maintaining water quality easier.I think some people don't understand that not changing the water means letting your fish live in a sewer.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #6 

In essence,that is true.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #7 
veganchick

DQ, you care for ur bettas alot, and you keep their water nice and clean, and u are trying, and they are staying happy! There is nothing u are doing wrong! I think it just depends on the betta, I had some bettas that lived for 6 years (together, and they were both males) in a 5g or 10g...... I can't remember which right now, that was heated and filtered, then one died out of old age, and one died of deppression cuz the other one died..... idk if any of that made sence, but my point is, I think it is more how well the betta is cared for than how large a tank... altho they do prefer larger tanks
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks, Veganchick. I believe that you can keep a betta happy in a smaller container if you treat it well. Its just that I was told by someone on another forum that I was abusing my fish because I didn't have them in large, heated, filtered tanks.That comment made me really mad. Grr!! I agree, the larger the better. Any new ones I get will go into larger containers. I don't think you can heat anything smaller than 2 gallons, can you?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #9 
veganchick

You treat ur fish better then half the people on this forum, and you care abut them! 1g really isn't all that small, WAY better than those little cups at the store!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Only 3 of mine are in 1 gallon containers but any new ones will be in larger containers. I'm thinking about using large critter keepers. Then I could have heaters.