Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #1 
Lillie Charlotte

Is my vet taking advantage of me?

So, I've got an elderly dog that is starting to have frequent problems and he probably doesn't have much time left :(

My dad came home the other day and said that he asked the vet about what happens when the time comes. They said that it was $50 to put him to sleep, but it would be $125 if I wanted to be in the room when they did it.

Has anyone ever heard of a policy like this? I can't imagine what could possibly cost $75 more by me being there. I feel like they are trying to take advantage of people they know are already emotionally vulnerable...
Lillie Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 
ismintis

I'm sorry for your dog :(
But I think they are taking advantage of you for the fact that it should be a given that you are in the room when they put him to sleep. I've had to put to sleep two of my elderly cats and they only charged the fee for putting them to sleep. I was in the room holding them while they did it even. In my opinion I would find a different vet or talk to them about why it costs so much.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #3 
TakingthePlunge

... I've never had a vet say they would charge more for being in the room. It almost sounds like they wouldn't put them to sleep the "right" way if no one is watching. I've never had a vet say it would only be $50, either. The one time I had to have a dog put down (car accident) it was $85. My parents dog (old age/cancer) was $115 because they had to use different medications to avoid seizures. These were both "country" vets. I think I would ask a different vet for a second opinion.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah we had our cat and dog put down and I never noticed them charging more for us being in the room with them. I couldn't imagine not being in the room in my pet's final moments of life.

Did you ask them to explain their policy as to why it was $75 more just because you want to be in the room during the procedure?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #5 
sarahspins

Our vet only charges $50 for euthanasia.. she waives the exam fee ($35) if that's the only reason you are there (she's also waived the exam fee when we've just gone in to have labwork drawn). We do use a "country" vet, but not because she's cheaper, where we are they all charge about the same, we like our vet because we can usually get appointments really quickly (often the same day if we call early enough, even when it's not urgent).

We've lost 3 cats in the past year to FeLV complications, so unfortunately we've gotten really familiar with the process. Our vet gives a sedative before the final injection and it's really peaceful.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 
registereduser

If your local humane society has a vet they might offer this service for a lower price. I have heard of charging more for you to be with the pet and I think it's a rip off.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 
shellieca

I'm sorry you're having to face this, I've been in the same situation more than once & most recently this past March. Is this a private practice vet or a vet hospital? That makes a difference in cost. The vet hospital I go to is on the expensive side; it was well over $100 to put my 15 yr old to sleep while I stayed with him. Because I go to a hospital rather than a private vet office it tends to be more expensive but I love the vet I've chosen & its an emergency hospital so if I have an emergency they have all of my fur babies records & they all know me & the "kids". Bottom line . . . I don't think they're taking advantage but you can "shop" around if you choose to.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 
Laki

Here's what to do, see another vet or city/state owned shelter. This is the hardest time in a pet guardian's life and to ask for more money to be in the room for his last moments is cruel to you and the pet.

Don't listen to their excuses, even if they had the dog for it's whole life in their hospital. Tell them you will be with your dog or you will take him to another hospital. I paid 85$ for my dog's euthanasia. The tech and vet let me hold his head and stroke his face as he went.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #9 
Namialus

I think TakingThePlunge is kinda right. It does seem like they're going to put him to a sleep a completely different way, which is wrong. I suggest you find another vet.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #10 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie Charlotte View Post
So, I've got an elderly dog that is starting to have frequent problems and he probably doesn't have much time left :(

My dad came home the other day and said that he asked the vet about what happens when the time comes. They said that it was $50 to put him to sleep, but it would be $125 if I wanted to be in the room when they did it.

Has anyone ever heard of a policy like this? I can't imagine what could possibly cost $75 more by me being there. I feel like they are trying to take advantage of people they know are already emotionally vulnerable...
I worked at a vets back in the day it was $15 to put a dog down. But $75 or more for cremation.

I live in CA and I put my 16 year old dog Down 2 years ago it was $135 that included bulk cremation. It is so awful they charge so much. And they sedated my dog before the injection I do not recommended that. They even placed a iv catheter. If I had known they were going to do all that I would have said no just give her the blue juice or pink it depends on the vet.

I never heard of an extra charge for being the room that's messed up. Look for another vet.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote