Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #11 
BittyB

Whenever something doesnt seem right, it probably is best not to do it there. He is aging but you have time to plan, so call up other vets. Its not just about price, but if a bad taste is built up because of stuff like this, last you need is it to mar the last moment of your pet. Sorry, hun. It's one of the hardest decisions to ever make.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #12 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I am so sorry you have had to make this decision.

My vet kinda freaked the first time I had one of my buddies euthanized at her clinic: I fed her slices of cheese as she died. Food was her favorite activity in the whole world (except for grouse hunting) so I figured if she could talk that would be her request.

I have done it with all my buddies since and my vet said she did it with her dog when the time came.

I have never been charged extra when my pals went from this plane to the next and would raise absolute hell. I cannot imagine a supportable reason for such a charge.

It's stressful enough to make the decision and follow through without having something like this thrown at you. I'd find another vet no matter what.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #13 
jadaBlu

I am sorry the vet is making this already difficult time harder. I have seen emergency vets charge that much to put an animal to sleep but not a regular vet. Otherwise in my area it's $45-$80 to put an animal to sleep. I would call around. Most vets are very compassionate and accommodating under circumstances. I have been permitted to have my cat given a sedative then we took him outside into nice grassy area talked to him for awhile (he loved to go outdoors supervised). Fifteen minutes later the vet gave the final shot outside he passed peacefully with the sun on his face and the smells of the earth blowing in the wind around him.

For the price they are charging you can typically a get a vet a to come to your home and do it. In the future I would try out some different vets until you find a practice where you feel like they are talking to you at a heart to heart level. Some vets like talk at you not to you and they act as if you should be grateful that they have done you the great favor of accepting you as client while they charge you 30% more than everyone else in your area.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #14 
Silverfang

Something feels off about that to me. It was a while ago when we had to have our cat put down, and I have no idea how much mother ended up paying. But there was no question of mother or father being allowed to sit with each cat.

The price may not be that much different, but I get such a bad vibe from that whole extra for you to be in the room. I heard someone quote a rough estimate on the radio locally the other day, and it was like 150 or so.

Bottom line is, no compassionate, caring vet would charge more for you to be present. Especially when you can help calm your beloved friend in a frightening situation.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #15 
Skyewillow

back in '06 when my 13 yr old miniature shepherd mix was hit by a car, and left in the ditch for who knows how long, the vet asked me if I wanted Belle on the table, or in my lap for her euthanasia shot. She'd had a broken back, so I left her on the table, but I was able to cuddle her in her final moments.

There was no extra fee anywhere, no sedatives, and it only cost us for the amount of medication used for a 45 lb dog. He was a country vet, and she'd been his patient for her whole life.

I'm really sorry that you are going through this tough time, and facing this decision. I would have to agree that things seem pretty shady, and I would be taking my dog to a different vet.

-big hugs-
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #16 
LillieCharlotte

Thank you all for your input. I did feel that this was an unfair charge, and its more than DOUBLE the original price which is ridiculous

This is a private practice, and my dog has been going there since we moved here (about 6 years). I mentioned this to other people at work and they all responded, "what are they going to do, beat him to death if you're not in the room?!?"

Thank you guys for sharing your stories and confirming my suspicions. I will definitely call around to other places...I was so shocked when I heard this policy that I was debating on calling the local media on them =/
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #17 
Laki

They're not going to "beat him to death" but the least they can do is let you be with your friend before he goes. Everyone wants to be with the people they love, dogs are no exception. Your vet needs a smack upside the head, private institution or not. This is not compassionate. Even if you need to see another vet for this one procedure and continue to see your reg guy with other pets, that's fine. He should not be rewarded with extravegant money at the most vulnerable time in a pet owners life.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #18 
PeetaTheBetta

That doesn't seem right. When we had to put our old dog down we paid only for them to put him to sleep. They were very nice and although I wasn't there they let my mom have a good amount of time to say her goodbyes. Then they carried him to a little garden area and put him to sleep. I would deffinitly either go to another vet or ask them why there is a price to be in the room.
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Did you ask why there's a difference in the pricing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #20 
Laki

Oh and my vet told us to take as much time as we needed in the room before and after. They didn't push us out to make room for other appointments.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote