Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Which plants NOT to fertilize?

What plants should I not use Flourish on? I have been dosing with flourish to get rid of algae and kick start the plants into growing and my red camboba and stargrass melted. The water sprite isn't looking good either. My broadleaf ludwigia looks like it is rotting from the substrate up. I'm only using about 5 drops per week (to the bottom thread on the cap) per the dosing instructions on the bottle.

Maybe the lighting it too high too but I didn't see any problems until I started the Flourish.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've found that I rarely need to dose ferts (Flourish & Excel) with my tanks. The fish & snail waste seem to do a good job. I do have root tabs in each tank. How long are your lights on each day? I only have mine 8 hrs which seems to be the magic # to keep the hair algae at bay in the tanks I have that tend to get it. When I've had hair algae I took those plants, usually anachris & gave them a peroxide bath plus shortened my light time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

This tank isn't cycled yet so the plants are only getting a small amount of ammonia. You may be right perhaps I should just put fish in.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

The other thing is some plants can go into shock when 1st put in but can come back. Are you dosing ammonia? You might back off on the ferts, maybe every other week. If you can order the root tabs from amazon you can get more for less money, theyll help the root plants better than the liquid ferts IMO. Doing a fish IN cycle can be a pain for some people, you have to test daily & do water changes usually every 2-3 days if not daily.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote