Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #91 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namialus View Post
I got him one Nerite today... Didn't put it into the tank yet, I think I won't add him yet. Do they eat things other than algae?
Here's a quote from a website on Nerite Snails and their eating habits.

Quote:
Most species eat only algae and to a lesser degree other vegetable matter. If you have an aquarium with a stable population of algae you will not need to feed your snails. They will find the food they need. They are however ferocious algae eaters and they might eat your aquarium clean of algae at which point they need to be fed vegetable matter. Ideal food includes sinking algae wafers and vegetable flake food that sinks to the bottom. There is however species that are scavengers and these species will need a more diverse diet. All Nerite snails will leave living fish and fry alone. If you see one eating on a dead fish you can be sure that the fish died before the snail started eating on it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #92 
Namialus

When do they start moving? I have him in a little jar with a slice of cucumber for now just in case he's dead.... Don't want to add him to the tank like that!
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #93 
Kiara1125

Why didn't you put him in the tank to begin with? As long as he's in the tank and has vegetable matter such as the cucumber, he'll be fine. Anyways, you know they're dead when their trapdoor is loose. Pick him up, turn him over onto his back, and poke the trapdoor. If it closes tight or is already closed tight, he's alive. Nerites take a bit to get moving, but they're reluctant to get off of a surface after they attach to it. Also, they glide smoothly around the tank once they get going. They're very active!

Also, being in the jar is bad for him. There might be temperature fluctuations and then there's nothing for him to eat. At least if the nerite is in the tank, there's microscoping things for it to eat or algae that you don't see. They eat diatoms like otos, so it's better to put him in the tank.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 07-21-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #94 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Why didn't you put him in the tank to begin with? As long as he's in the tank and has vegetable matter such as the cucumber, he'll be fine. Anyways, you know they're dead when their trapdoor is loose. Pick him up, turn him over onto his back, and poke the trapdoor. If it closes tight or is already closed tight, he's alive. Nerites take a bit to get moving, but they're reluctant to get off of a surface after they attach to it. Also, they glide smoothly around the tank once they get going. They're very active!

Also, being in the jar is bad for him. There might be temperature fluctuations and then there's nothing for him to eat. At least if the nerite is in the tank, there's microscoping things for it to eat or algae that you don't see. They eat diatoms like otos, so it's better to put him in the tank.
I thought he was dead because there's this white build-up on his "body" so I didn't want him to stink up the tank.. :P I'll check now, if he's alive I'll add him.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #95 
Namialus

Okay, what exactly is his trapdoor? I poked him in places and he didn't move at all.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #96 
Kiara1125

On the bottom of the snail, this is the trapdoor. This snail is dead, because the trapdoor is relaxed. I only know due to reading the thread that this picture was from. Poke him on the little circular, light colored disc. In this picture, the snail is the black part to the left (technically top) of the disc (trapdoor).

Was the little white "buildup" at the tip of the spiral? Shells tend to break and I've noticed that nerites are notorious for having the tips of their shells break off (don't worry, it'll grow back).

You have to be careful when buying snails. A lfs around here sells mystery snails and they're all dead. They never move and they even have algae growing on them. That's why you have to be careful. It would suck if you bought a dead snail. Next time, don't let them randomly pick a snail or have yourself pick a snail that's not moving. Always buy the snail that's crawling around and is active.

In this picture, you can see where the doors were. All of these snails are long dead. These are just the shells. You can also see how the tips are broken off of some. For instance, look at the middle shell. The place where it goes in (white) is where the snail is. The tan spot is where the trapdoor folds back so the snail can move. When the snail is hiding, the door will cover up the white part and line the tip of the shell. So, all you see is that tan spot and then another tan colored disc. Get it?

Last edited by Kiara1125; 07-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #97 
Namialus

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's dead. Dead from the store. Luckily they do exchanges. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #98 
Kiara1125

Welcome. Hopefully you can get a live snail!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #99 
RobertTheFish

Well, I had my betta in a 10 gallon with 6 guppies. 2 died from a sudden pH crash (driftwood addition) and then he murdered the other 4, 1 per night. The last one died last night.

I might try some rasboras or mollies or an ADF.

Good luck on your search for betta companions. I'm finding it to be hit and miss.

Strange thing is, the LFS has a male betta in almost every tank they have. There's even a tank that has a betta and about 10 kissing gouramis, which is not supposed to be possible, but they all get along. What the heck?
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #100 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTheFish View Post
Well, I had my betta in a 10 gallon with 6 guppies. 2 died from a sudden pH crash (driftwood addition) and then he murdered the other 4, 1 per night. The last one died last night.

I might try some rasboras or mollies or an ADF.

Good luck on your search for betta companions. I'm finding it to be hit and miss.

Strange thing is, the LFS has a male betta in almost every tank they have. There's even a tank that has a betta and about 10 kissing gouramis, which is not supposed to be possible, but they all get along. What the heck?
They only "get along", because they're in a cramped and stressed out conditions. They're only coping with it. Long term being cramped like that is going to get them sick and they'll start attacking each other. Usually they get bought before any real damage can happen.