Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #81 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
That's up to you. I never have.

However, I have a thought: Why don't you make your divider and get a breeder box or plastic container and quarantine your new Betta in that in the side he'll be living? You'd have to do frequent water changes, but that way you'll keep him in a heated tank, won't take up any extra room, and he'll already be acclimated when you are ready to turn him loose.

You don't have to do the divider first; but with the divider, the new Betta won't feel trapped in his cup if Plagueis flares at him.
So you're saying there will be two separate waters? And he will still be normally QTed? That's a perfect idea! Thank you!
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #82 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Go to a craft store such as Joann Fabrics and get a single sheet of type 7 mesh. Cut it to 10" (tall (I personally cut it to 8")) by 11" (wide), you want to be over some for the divider to bend so it will fit snugly in place in the tank. You could just press it into place and put gravel on either side so it doesn't move. But, for more security, you could go to Staples and get plastic binder clips. After you cut the mesh, slide the binder clips on the sides and place it in the tank. I do this with my divided 10 and I'll attach an image of it too!

Mesh (type 7)

Binder Clips

End Result (and yes, you can use colored mesh so the bettas don't see each other)

Tank Shot

Hope this helps! :D
(all photos are not mine and were taken off of Google)

ALSO, I made 3 dividers like this all under $5. It's EXTREMELY cheap! :D
Looks good, I'm going to do that. I don't want to buy a divider from the pet store - none are perfect sizes. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #83 
RussellTheShihTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namialus View Post
So you're saying there will be two separate waters? And he will still be normally QTed? That's a perfect idea! Thank you!
Yes. You're floating his quarantine container in the tank instead of sitting it on a desk or something. And, when you change out his water, you could use tank water instead of tap water. That way he'll be acclimated to the temperature and water conditions when you release him. Easy peasy.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #84 
Namialus

Quote:
Yes. You're floating his quarantine container in the tank instead of sitting it on a desk or something. And, when you change out his water, you could use tank water instead of tap water. That way he'll be acclimated to the temperature and water conditions when you release him. Easy peasy.
Now my mom is going on about how we don't have a good container for the new betta. GAH

But thanks anyway, she'll be convinced. :D
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #85 
RussellTheShihTzu

Forgot to add: I use those oversized clips like you use to hold chip bags closed to secure the floating tank to the side.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #86 
Namialus

Quote:
Forgot to add: I use those oversized clips like you use to hold chip bags closed to secure the floating tank to the side.
I will too. :D
Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #87 
Namialus

I'm going out today to get the divider supplies. My local Petsmart gets new bettas every Friday so I'll be buying the new guy tomorrow. :D Not sure if I can convince my mom to get the snail though...

Also, if I have extra mesh left, can I make the divider 2 layers?

For the QT cup, should I put a lid on it?

Last edited by Namialus; 07-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #88 
Kiara1125

One sheet will only make one divider. Honestly, doubling up the dividers does nothing. It doesn't make it harder for the betta to see each other. It also makes the dividers straighter, which might cause gaps on the sides.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #89 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
One sheet will only make one divider. Honestly, doubling up the dividers does nothing. It doesn't make it harder for the betta to see each other. It also makes the dividers straighter, which might cause gaps on the sides.
Okay

I'm going to make the divider today but I won't be adding it until Plagueis stops being crazy.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #90 
Namialus

I got him one Nerite today... Didn't put it into the tank yet, I think I won't add him yet. Do they eat things other than algae?