Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #1 
dukie1346

Empsom salt and Popeye

So, a couple days ago I got my betta, but I noticed one of her eyes are sticking out a bit. I took pictures so ill upload them tomorrow. Shes in a 5 gallon unfiltered tank, and if im correct I can use empsom salt to help her? I bought some today, but id like to know how much water to take out, how much salt to dissolve in the new water, and how often id need to do this. thanks!
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
darkangel

the dosage I seen most often is 1/2 tsp per gallon. I would do a 100% water change so she has fresh new water. try warmer water too, like 82F maybe? warmer water always helps. I would do the epsom salt for maybe like 3 or 4 days? if she doesn't get better or becomes sicker you should try medication.

my betta had popeye too when I first got him, I treated him with jungle's fungus cure, its a broad antimicrobe so it treats fungus and bacteria infections. I treated for 5 days and it went away completely.

it really helps if you do lots of water changes too to make sure there is no ammonia. a 5 gallon should be changed 100% once a week or you can do two 50% water changes. :)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is she? Yes, Epsom salt can be used for popeye. Since you have a 5 gal tank, here's a relatively easy way to add the correct amount:
  1. Put some tank water in a cup. Add 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved.
  2. Slowly, over the course of about 15-30 minutes, pour the solution back into the tank. (This will yield a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt/gal.)
  3. After 10-12 hours, repeat the above process. (This will yield a dosage of 1 teaspoon Epsom salt/gal.)

When doing your regular water changes, dissolve Epsom salt into the new water at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon. (This will maintain the 1 teaspoon Epsom salt/gal dosage.)... For example, if you do a 100% water change, you'd use 5 gallons of new water (with conditioner) which would require a total of 5 teaspoons Epsom salt. (1 teaspoon per gallon.)

You don't need to add any of it between water changes. Salt doesn't evaporate. It stays in the tank until you remove it.

After you're finished treating her, just go back to using regular (conditioned) water without any salt. This will start to remove the salt from the tank.

*If the Epsom salt doesn't help her popeye within a day or so - I would recommend adding an antibiotic. The Jungle Fungus Clear that darkangel recommended would be a good choice. (Jungle Fungus Clear, API Furan 2, and Bifuran all contain the same 2 antibiotics. You could use any of those.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-15-2013 at 12:09 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote