Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 
itamag

Need advice ASAP

Hi! I'm flying abroad on Tuesday and I got someone to feed my betta,but now I realized he will need a water change as I'm going for a week. There are many risks in letting someone (my sister) that doesn't have any fish do a water change, because she could do something wrong innocently, like forget something or check the water temperature wrong or whatever.. So my question is, can a betta manage to hold without one water change without becoming sick in any way? Felix lives in a 12-13 possibly 13.5 liter tank. I have a sponge filter inside, but without the air stream going because even on the lowest level it seemed to interrupt him. I used to do 1 100% and 1 50% every week, but now I almost always do 1 100% (instead of two) and 3 50% (instead of 2) in two weeks.

To sum everything up in case I'm not clear - I'm going abroad for a week and am wondering what to do with the water changes. Should I let someone who knows nothing on tank maintenance change the water and take the risk of something happening or will ny betta Felix be fine without one 50% water change?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

He will be fine for one week, just do a change when you get back.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #3 
itamag

Thank you! and I could guide my sister to check for any bad signs. Still, I'd be happy to hear more opinions or have nore people confirm what TheGoldenBetta said.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 
ladybuglil123

Quote:
Originally Posted by itamag View Post
Thank you! and I could guide my sister to check for any bad signs. Still, I'd be happy to hear more opinions or have nore people confirm what TheGoldenBetta said.
Yes, bettas can survive a reasonable amount of time without a water change. Mine survived 3 weeks and was STILL HAPPY then. If your only leaving a week he will be perfectly fine. Even if not fed!
ladybuglil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #5 
itamag

The thing is I don't hij to just survive. Could hw get sick in any way because of not changing his water once?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

It looks like that is about 3.5 g. It will be okay going a week without a water change. He can go a week without food, but if you want your sister to feed I would have her feed every other day or so (just to ensure the water stays clean). Make sure you give yourself time to do a water change asap when you get home though.

ladybuglil123 - Going 3 weeks without a water change is not good care. Your fish was probably extremely stressed, and you are lucky it didn't become sick and/or die.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #7 
Lindsaypez

He'll be just fine going for a week without water changes. Just change it as soon as you get back...There's not even a need to have your sister check for signs of illness.

When I was a kid I had a betta live for 5 years and I did not take care of him the way I should have (I was a kid, didn't know better!). He lived in a gallon tank and we changed the water MAYBE once a month. He didn't have a heater and it was cold in the winter time! I wouldn't feed him as often as I should have either. But he was very happy and healthy. He didn't get any kind of illness. I do not recommend caring for a fish the way that I did, but my point is that a fish would be fine without water changes for a week! I think the majority of betta owners don't care for their bettas the way they should (only us hobbyists!) and a lot of people have healthy fish regardless. They are hardy little fish.

Have a good trip and don't worry about your betta friend! He'll be just fine. Worst case scenario (if somebody over feeds him, something odd happens, etc.) you'll be able to nurse him back to health if you ask for advice in these forums. My fish was dying and in terrible shape and with the advice from here, I helped him and you would have no idea that he was ever so sick. They're really strong and can get better. BUT I really don't think anything bad will happen to your fish at all.
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #8 
itamag

Alright thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate this forum and its so helpful and willing visitors!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #9 
TheGoldenBetta

No problem!
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #10 
peachii

I would be very clear about how much to feed while you are gone. If she overfeeds several times a day and it messes up the water quality that could change the health of the fish when you return very easily. A lot of non-fish owners baby sitters will over feed every time, not realizing they are hurting the fish by leaving uneaten food in the tank.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote