Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #1 
sushiisaboss75

Leo the new double tail.

so, after sushi passed, i went and got another fish, leo. I noticed he was in that cup a while because 1. he was flipping out 2. there were 4 old poops in the cup! 4!!!

there r a few things i want to check up on though.

1. He has 4 rips in his fins? i know its not fin rot cause its not black

2. he doesnt see his food, when he does he eats it though. but i will literally put it in front of his face and he wont even see it!

3. he will be swimin, swimin, and then he just darts.... and then goes back to swiming.

4. he also mostly swims along the edge of the wall of the aquarium.

5. he takes NO notice to the plants. is that even normal for a betta?

the tears in his fins are really concerning me, they just keep getting bigger. yesterday, he had 3, today he has 4. they are very smooth rips so... ?????
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's getting used to his home. It is very common they won't eat or refuse to eat in the first week or so. So just be patient with him is all and suck out the old food he doesn't eat, you don't want it to spoil the water!

As for his fins, you should start using Stress Coat if you don't have any. That stuff works great, it's a water conditioner with aloe in it to heal those fins. But what's really going to help is that you do daily or every other day water changes, at least 80% on him so that no icky stuff can stay in the water and rot his tail away.

If they are smooth it's most likely he's biting his fins. There's really nothing you can do about that except figure out where his ticks are coming from. Sometimes Betta's freak out if a light comes on a at a certain time and doesn't the next time. it frustrates them and so their tail is right there and it's the only thing they can bite and tear off basically so that's what they do. Also he's probably just bitten them off at the store, another common thing to see if Betta's in cups. You'd be pretty frustrated too if all you could do was walk in a very small circle

So just keep an eye on him, try to do daily water changes and use that Stress Coat in hopes to start healing him up.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #3 
sushiisaboss75

i do use stress coat! it doesnt look like biting because it is very thin. i went to a swim meet and came back and part of his dorsal fin is missing! how would he be able to bite that?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
sushiisaboss75

http://instagram.com/p/btnvRcRnc-/ is the link to a pic of his fins. U can barely c it but look at the bottom part of his double tail. What does that look like to u?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The link doesn't work

If it's the split between his tail lobes then that's normal. Some DT's have a wider split than others and sometimes you can't even see the split like in one of my boy's; Mercury. I didn't know he was a DT for the longest time lol
Old 07-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #6 
sushiisaboss75

Sucks the link doesn't work. There's so many though! Already 5 within the last 2 days! O... One more thing. They all started out as holes. Then they got longer until they reached the end of his fins. Will the stess coat heal the split? Is the split a bad thing? O and he keeps darting around the tank... Could that just be him getting used to his surroundings?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The natural split that a double tail has is fine, but rips and tears and stuff like that, that's bad. If they started as holes and opened up like you say that could definitely be the beginnings of fin rot for sure. Definitely do a daily water change if you can to help start getting it treated. The Stress Coat will definitely heal up the rips and tears but it will take time. Do the daily water changes for now with the stress coat and keep a close eye on him. That way you can see if it starts to get worse, then you can start using 1 tsp per gal of AQ salt, dissolved first of course and acclimate him to it. You can do that for about 10 days and he'll be alright. After that just keep on doing lots of water changes to help continue to heal him.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #8 
sushiisaboss75

But his fins aren't black. Fin rot is usually black. I have double the amount of stress coat in his tank than there is supposed to be like the bottle says. Can u take a picture of ur DT split so I can compare it to mine?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #9 
sushiisaboss75

And like I already stated, they are very smooth, unlike fin rot which is ragged.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Fin rot isn't always ragged and it often will start with just holes in the fins too. There are many faces to fin rot basically.

Here's my girl DT Phoenix

And here's Ditto, here you can see his split doesn't go all the way down to his tail beginning and you can see on his edging he's got fin rot, this pic was from a while ago. But the rot is the super black stuff, he also has natural black coloration which is the edging that's a little more see through and meets at the yellow.

And here is Jarvis who has severe fin rot right now and is being treated. You can see that the fin rot ate away most of his tail but his split goes all the way to his peduncle (which the beginning of the tail)

And here is Mercury, the one who fooled me. You can see that he's got so many fin rays that you can see his split at all!

And here's where you can almost make out the split. It's right smack in the middle of his tail and you can see where the light hits it and highlights it.

Tags
new fish, questions