Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay! Yup, he's a DT you're right ^_^

It actually doesn't look as bad as I was thinking about, I think just the daily changes and the Stress Coat will work fine on him. And yes he can reach his Dorsal to bite it, he can reach any of his fins. Betta's are extremely flexible lol which is good and then not good for times like these XD
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #22 
sushiisaboss75

Ya. I just watched him curl up trying to bite them. Do u know of any way to stop him from doing this?
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's difficult to say. Often they bite because they're frustrated at something, usually because they can see another Betta or something and they can't get at them. Or sometimes they just have a random tick, same as it would be in people except we don't bite our limbs off usually lol but it will take some watching him to figure out what it might be.

Sometimes, and this is when they're in tanks of course, when the heater light comes on, it annoys them, especially at night sometimes as I've seen a case of before. Or in one of my cases when I changed the times the lights went off to an hour early and my boy in my avatar got so mad that he bit a part of his caudal. Simple things too like the water not being at the right level or they don't like a certain plant or you moved objects around on them. Many, many things unfortunately.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #24 
sushiisaboss75

Do u think it could be the stress? He was in that cup for at least a week b4 I rescued him cause I saw him a week ago!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could be, also he was around other males in the store so he could have been frustrated then and just bit them then is all. So yeah.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #26 
sushiisaboss75

ok thanks. the triangle, he has now bitten to his body and i actually cought him doing it! ok... i have one more question. (sorry for bugging u O.o) but im not sure if this is poop, or food he spat out. its a very small brown and looks like clear/white. it is a string. very VERY small. if he really does have an internal parasite, what do i do?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #27 
sushiisaboss75

hey is it normal for them to shed their slime coat? i took the gravel out to make sure his poop is normal, and theres this white slimy tiny ball at the bottom. sushi used to have this when he was stressed. i have lots of stress coat in there, so WTH?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #28 
HeadlessLegoMom

Can he see his reflection in his tank? If so, then he may think there is another betta and be biting his tail thinking that he is attacking another fish... That can also account for the "spazzing". I have seen mine do it when he catches his reflection.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #29 
sushiisaboss75

no, i think its just the stress of him being in a cup surrounded by other males for a week. its amazing what clean water and stress coat can do! its already starting to heal!
lets just hope he stops biting.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Too much Stress Coat and it can cause their slime coat to shed along with if you use AQ salt, that will also cause it to shed.

It depends on what the ball slime thingy looks like. Usually uneaten food will just expand and lose some color but internal parasites would look more white/clear and stringy or sometimes even solid so it could be the case. If that is the case, don't feed him peas, if you can get Freeze-dried or Frozen Daphnia then you can feed him a few of those and then fast him for a day and that should get everything moving to push out the parasites. You'd want to do daily water changes for that too.

As for him biting, can you place white mat paper (not shiny) around three sides of his tank if he's in the tank now, or a white towel might also work so that the light won't reflect and make him see reflections of himself. Also at night, try covering his whole tank with a towel to make it pitch dark in there. The darkness has a calming effect on fish and so it might get him to calm down enough to relax and realize that he's alone and there isn't another Betta trying to get at him. Lots of interaction from you will help too, basically distract him ^_^ you can play with him with ping pong balls, pencil tips on the outside of the tank and he might follow it. Or stick your finger in see if he'll bite (it doesn't really hurt) or sometimes mine will circle my finger really tightly and almost cuddle to me lol, it's too cute!

Tags
new fish, questions