Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
No clue, house is usually kept around the 78-80+ range.
80* still ok to get rid of the ich. Keep the tank in the hottest place and cover it keep it dark.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #32 
ANHEL123

We forget to tell you that ich photosynthetic and response to light , meaning that ich will reproduce with light. So for Merlin keep it may be even near the hottest aria in your house were you have a lot of sun. Cover tank completely of course have the hole for air.
Also the same for Dragoon keep it dark.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #33 
BettaLover1313

I got the API General Cure which covers most, if not all of Merlin's symptoms just in case. I'll be doing a 100% water change as soon as I finish posting and getting the epsom salt in Merlin's water. Dragoon will be moved to one of the 1 gallon critter carriers for now while Merlin recovers in the heated 5.5 gallon.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #34 
ANHEL123

I think Dragoon need the heater more then Merlin though. It warm in your room and Merlin warm enough. And even for the ich some people saying that it ok 80*. So i really think keep Dragoon in the heated , covered tank.
Keep Merlin in epsom and covered tank in the warmest place in your room. If Merlin got internal problem the hit will not help her at all.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #35 
BettaLover1313

The problem is, Merlin is still showing signs of external parasites, while Dragoon is still fine. I'll keep an eye on both of them, and if it turns out I need to switch who's in what tank, I'll just switch them around after the 100% water change and cleaning of the tank & tank ornaments tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #36 
ANHEL123

Just keep both of them as warm as you can and dark as you can.
And try to check Merlin poo . When is last time you saw him poop? Did you see color of it?
If you can try new food also .
Did you try to feed Merlin? Did he eat?
API General cure for internal problem so it good u have it.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #37 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Just keep both of them as warm as you can and dark as you can.
And try to check Merlin poo . When is last time you saw him poop? Did you see color of it?
If you can try new food also .
Did you try to feed Merlin? Did he eat?
API General cure for internal problem so it good u have it.
They're both in my bedroom, which is the hottest room in the house, neither has a light on near them, so they're good with that too.
I've never really sign either of my fish poo before XD. However, I did see Merlin's this morning (I'll post that below in the update).
Yes, I bought new food for my boys--Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
I did feed Merlin, he reluctantly ate the new pellets after spitting them out (which is why he's getting fed in his cup during water changes until he starts eating them without complaint.)
I'm actually hoping I wont' have to use it now, but I'm relieved that I bought it just in case things didn't go right.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #38 
BettaLover1313

It turns out, Merlin really was constipated, I'd overfed him (worst betta mom ever T-T). The epsom salt treatment helped him yesterday, and he most have pooped this out last night:

Besides it's massive size, I don't see anything else wrong with it. Merlin must have taken my words to heart last night of "I want to see your poo" since it's in plain sight, as you can see.

Merlin seems to be feeling much better this morning, he has even been flaring at his reflection in the 5.5 gallon since he has it all to himself at the moment. Still going to do one more Epsom Salt treatment with him tonight (unless that's wrong...?) and then I will just go back to heat treatment since it doesn't seem like he has internal parasites. Dragoon will move back in with him then either the following day, or the day after that.

Dragoon is still doing fine, swimming happily around. HE at least liked the Omega One pellets, then again, I think he'd eat anything! He hasn't been clamped up at all, swimming normally, and I'm hoping he stays that way!

I do have a couple questions with the pellets?

-Since Merlin is still a bit bloated, how much should I feed him until he seems back to normal?
-How many pellets should I feed both my boys (assuming they're both healthy) for one meal time? I really don't want to feed them two-three times a day since they've gotten used to only being fed once a day.

Thank you all once again for your help! I would surely be lost and even more terrified for my boys without all of you!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

I am so relieved that Marlin looks better and ate , and less bloated , and not lethargic. And if her poo normal color and shape then we can rule out the internal problem and yes you can move them back together so you can keep up with the temperature to insure we will get rid of the ich. And do not stop heat, just have them in that temperature to be sure you get rid of the parasite, and keep up with daily water changes.
I just was talking to someone who got two bettas with ich,and one died though. But second one with doing very good right now. She was doing heat for nearly 3 or even more wks. She also did salt too. But if you don't see anymore parasites on them and they acting healthy then continue with temperature. Temperature will help to speed up their cycle and help them fall naturally without killing fish , and then your remove them so they don't attache back and reproduce.

About food , i am glad you bought the new food. It a lot of better for them. I personally like to use Omega one and NLS. I just alternate between them. I don't remember if i wrote it in your thread or other so i will write it again. If you can also buy them a frozen blood worms or frozen daphnia. You can find it in the pet store in the refrigerator. I never fed my bettas with frozen food before but decide to do it because people on the forum saying that it good for their immune system since it has a lot of protein and it not dried out. So i do it about once a wk when i do full water change. I really think it worth to try. I even think that one of my betta grow from that . And i am not overfeeding.
As for the feeding. I understand that you don't want to feed 2-3 meals a day. But since he already got constipated , he might get it again. And i really think that at least 2 small meals are better than one. It easier to digest small meals . Just like for the human. If you eat small meals it easier on your digestive system and for your stomach. That is why if you eat small meals through out the day you loosing wait. But since he already got constipated sorry but i really think 2 small meals are better for both of them.
I give my bettas 2 in the morning and 2-3 at night. Now sure if other people agree. But i don't like to overfeed them. I also give them frozen food instead of the pellets once a wk when i do full water change. Frozen food kind of messy, sometimes it sinks to the bottom so i don't want to contaminate the water, that is why i do when i change 100% water.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 07-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #40 
BettaLover1313

I'll start the two meals a day then. Dragoon will be very happy, the little glutton!

Definitely have to feed Merlin in his cup while doing the heat treatment and water changes so he understands that the pellets are what he's getting now. Tried to see if it was like the freeze dried bloodworms (only given as treat) since he ate those a couple days later with gusto but nope. He spat out the couple pellets I put in again! Granted, he did chase one to the bottom, so that gives me hope!