Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #41 
ANHEL123

I would try...especially that he can be fasted now. Keep trying. The NLS pellets a lot of smaller in size ...I was thinking the Omega one you can even try to split it with your nail try that. Or may be try to crash the pellet may be he will go for that.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #42 
BettaLover1313

I will definitely keep trying, just a bit frustrating with him is all. I don't think it's the size that bothers him, it's just not what he's used to. He has eaten them, he did yesterday in his cup, but he could find them more easily once they sank to the bottom if he was hungry vs. in his tank where they tend to blend in with the gravel. He'll catch on eventually.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #43 
ANHEL123

I think if he tried it once , even if he spitting at least he is trying. So may be he will eventually. One time it took me almost 3 wks to teach a new betta to eat pellets. I did mistake i bought him for someone and feed him with blood worms. And it was big mistake , of course he refused the pellets after that. But eventually he ate. But it took me long time , i even fast him to make eat.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #44 
BettaLover1313

Just an update from me: Merlin is doing much better, he's almost completely unclamped now and he's eating the pellets almost as gustily as Dragoon.

I do have one question though: I know the tank needs to remain dark, but is there a certain amount of time I can leave the light on for them? I feel bad leaving them in the dark all day in a dark room while they're recovering/trying to get rid of whatever's in their water.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #45 
ANHEL123

I know you made the post on 7/13 not sure when you started treating them. I assume on about 15th. So you treating them for about 5 days only? I would really continue to do what you doing (water changes, temperature and keep them in dark). Don't worry they are not stressed in dark. A lot of time people recommending to cover the tank to calm them down if they stressed. So they are fine, no harm with keeping them in dark room. And we want to ensure to get rid of the one that may hide in the gill area.

What is the water temperature that you maintain in the tank?

The ich has tree stages. I am going to post it for you so you can read and understand.
First stage
When the parasite is visible to the naked eye, it is a nearly fully developed trophont which has burrowed under the fish’s mucus coating where it is protected from chemicals (medication). It has likely been feeding on the body fluid of the fish for several days and has swelled to many times its original size.This feeding stage lasts only a few days, at which point the fully developed cyst drops off the fish as a tomont.

Second stage
The tomont may swim for several hours before settling on and attaching to the substrate, a plant, or some other surface. During that time it is susceptible to chemicals and medication will be effective. Once attached, it begins its reproductive stage. It encysts and begins rapidly dividing. At this point, it is again immune to chemicals. Within a few days, hundreds of new organisms burst from the cyst, sprout cilia and start swimming in search of a host.

3.These are now referred to as thermonts or swarmers, and they must find a host within a few days or they will die. (For this reason, we know that even an aquarium heavily infested with Ich would be “clean” and safe for new fish after only a week or two without fish in the tank.) Medication is effective at this stage. Once the thermont attaches to a host and burrows in, it is referred to as a trophont and the cycle begins again. Unfortunately, with each cycle the number of organisms in the tank increases dramatically.

I am glad Merlin eating the pellets!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #46 
BettaLover1313

The temperature is at about 87-88 degrees
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #47 
ANHEL123

Oh good i would really continue for like 3 wks with the temperature, water changes, and i would not have the light on.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #48 
BettaLover1313

All right, will do!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #49 
BettaLover1313

I'm thinking about adding AQ to the water since some of the stuff seems to be really stubborn and sticking around, even though Merlin is obviously feeling better, I don't like seeing the stuff still clinging to him. I was hoping the temperature would do it, and even raised it by a degree so it's in the 88-89 range now, but it's still being stubborn.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #50 
ANHEL123

Wait what stuff you talking about? What color? How he behaving? Is it fuzzy looking white patches? Some times fish can excess a bit of slime coat . It normal for the betta to have it . It 's his natural defense against the disease. But i am not sure what he has.Can you please give more details?
And is there any behavior symptoms?