Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 
ariellesougly

Does my betta have velvet?

I noticed a silver lining on my betta's gills one night when he caught his reflection and started flaring. It scared me because his face is usually all black. I did some googling to try to see if its just something that happens when he is in fighting mode but I didn't find any solid answers. Then I ran into a post about velvet and did the flash light test just to check. There was a really pretty gold dust all over his fins. But he doesn't seem to display any other symptoms of velvet... he is still happy and eats/poops regularly and blows happy bubbles. Is the "gold dust" just his natural color? A picture of him with the flash is attached to this. Please help! Thanks!
Attached Images

ariellesougly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 
Kittiesdragons

I would watch him carefully just in case but if he isn't showing any other symptoms I wouldn't start pulling out the meds just yet... If he starts showing any other symptoms I would research the simplest method of treatment first (prob AQ salt) and go from there. But if he isn't showing any other symptoms then I would just say it's his natural color! I'm going to take a guess and say it's just his color since it's limited to his fins and if I remember correctly Velvet would start on the body? I'll have to do more research on that one though
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Velvet starts on the gills and works its way to the rest of the body. From his picture it doesn't look like he has Velvet, but I can't see his gills to be sure.
Also, blowing bubbles doesn't mean he's happy, it just simply means his ready to breed (I found this out years ago with my best friend's sister's fish that she kept in an 8 oz cup and rarely changed his water. He was extremely ill, and only lived a few months, but in those few months, he built nests that overflowed his cup).
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #4 
ariellesougly

I have been watching him for over 3 weeks now and he still seems healthy. I've never seen what velvet looks like so I wasn't sure if the golden sparkles were part of the disease or his natural color. But it seems to be his color. I Just wanted to double check to make sure I don't have to treat him. Thanks for the feedback, guys!
ariellesougly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
velvet, velvet disease, velvet or color