Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 
Namialus

Planning on getting a new betta

I have a 10 gallon tank with just ONE betta. Nothing else. I want to add in another one with a divider so I have some questions.

-Will Plagueis get depressed if I divide his swimming space in half?
-I might buy a female betta. (I've been interested in one) I heard that having a male betta see a female would make them act different. Is that true? If so, what exactly would happen? Would there be any problems?
-If I got a female betta, I could give her 4 gallons and Plagueis 6, right?
-When buying a new one, should I quarantine it? Put it in some sort of dip? I am not sure. (NOTE: I have ParaGuard and Salt.)
-Is it okay if the two bettas see each other? What if they get stressed?
-Could Plagueis get stressed if he loses half his space?
-I'm scared they'll jump over the divider.

Thank you!

(NOTE: Not interested in breeding.)
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

- He might be depressed; might not be. It'll depend on how greedy Plagueis is. (;
- If a male sees a female, his reproductive instincts will make him make a bubblenest, show off to her, and so on. I don't recommend keeping them together, they both release hormones which alert other fish they're there. And the sum of this makes them try to get at each other to breed. >.>
- Yes, it's fine for her to get 4G. It's bigger than the cups in the stores so it should be perfectly fine.
- Yes, whenever you add someone in, you must always QT. There might be a risk of disease contamination so you must. I only quarantined my guppies for 3 days in my past sorority and now they're all gone. It's crucial. There is no dip; only making sure the new betta is healthy for 2-3 weeks.
- If they see each other, they'll try to get each other as said above. Most likely they'll get stressed; provide many hiding spaces and live plants if you still wish to get a female.
- Plagueis won't get stressed, just pretty unhappy. Why don't you test out his reaction with your divider?
- And they might, might not. You could make the divider as high as possible if that's possible.

Enjoy having another betta! You'll get more soon.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 
Mar

1. Plagueis will probably miss his huge 10 gallon home all to himself, but I'm sure he'll learn to share :)

2. Plageuis would probably start building a bubble nest, flare (the usual), and he may try to jump the divider, so make sure you have a hood or cover.

3. Yeah, you can divide it like that if you want. But I'd think if you gave them both 5 gallons, they'd both be happy, and your tank would look better since you split it exactly in half.

4. If you'd like, people recommend QTing a new fish when adding it to a new tank. You could do it if you like so Plageuis won't contract any diseases she may carry. I don't really do that if the fish looks healthy lol, so I don't know any specifics on QTing.

5. They'll eventually get used to each other after a couple of days/weeks, but if they're still flaring and stressing each other out, make sure to break their line of vision with plants/decorations between them.

6. Lol, question 1. He'll be fine.

7. Get a cover, or hood? Or extend the divider over the waterline. Which tank do you currently have now?
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #4 
aemaki09

-Will Plagueis get depressed if I divide his swimming space in half?
Probably not, I've never had mine get depressed when moved into smaller spaces. most actually seem to like it more
-I might buy a female betta. (I've been interested in one) I heard that having a male betta see a female would make them act different. Is that true? If so, what exactly would happen? Would there be any problems?
False. He might blow more nests or become more active seeing a possible mate on the other side. But no real major effects. Before I started my sorority all my males had females in between them and were all perfectly fine. The females were really pushy though and would try to get through any cracks in the dividers that they could.
-If I got a female betta, I could give her 4 gallons and Plagueis 6, right?
You could split it however you want. I always split my 10's so each gets 2.5 gallons (don't do any less than that
-When buying a new one, should I quarantine it? Put it in some sort of dip? I am not sure. (NOTE: I have ParaGuard and Salt.)
Yeah, do a QT of a couple weeks. Don't treat if there's nothing positively wrong with him/her
-Is it okay if the two bettas see each other? What if they get stressed?
Not a problem. If they do get stressed, just add some more craft mesh in front of the divider to distort their view a bit more
-Could Plagueis get stressed if he loses half his space?
he COULD but I highly doubt it
-I'm scared they'll jump over the divider.
that's always a possibility, keep water level 2" lower than the top of the divider and a hood on the tank and you should be okay. OR you could get some type of flat top for it (like craft mesh) so if they do jump, they hit that before they can reach the other side of the divider
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #5 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
1. Plagueis will probably miss his huge 10 gallon home all to himself, but I'm sure he'll learn to share :)

2. Plageuis would probably start building a bubble nest, flare (the usual), and he may try to jump the divider, so make sure you have a hood or cover.

3. Yeah, you can divide it like that if you want. But I'd think if you gave them both 5 gallons, they'd both be happy, and your tank would look better since you split it exactly in half.

4. If you'd like, people recommend QTing a new fish when adding it to a new tank. You could do it if you like so Plageuis won't contract any diseases she may carry. I don't really do that if the fish looks healthy lol, so I don't know any specifics on QTing.

5. They'll eventually get used to each other after a couple of days/weeks, but if they're still flaring and stressing each other out, make sure to break their line of vision with plants/decorations between them.

6. Lol, question 1. He'll be fine.

7. Get a cover, or hood? Or extend the divider over the waterline. Which tank do you currently have now?
I have a 10 gallon Marineland tank with a Penguin Filter 100.

Thanks for the detailed replies, people!
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote