Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #1 
Emphasy

Talking Seeking information - Possibly getting a Betta!

Hello again, Fish Forum! It's been a while! I have recently purchased a Grow-A-Frog kit and am looking into purchasing a Betta for my frog. I understand Betta's are agressive fish, and should a problem occur, the fish will be removed and placed in another tank. He will be accompanying an African Clawed Frog in a five and a half gallon tank. My frog will not be moved into the tank until I feel he/she is large enough he will not be harmed by the fish. I have neither the frog, nor the fish yet, although I do already own a Common Goldfish who lives in a one-gallon aquarium with an underground pump, a plastic plant and a small pirateship decoration. I also have a Tiger Oscar who is living in the five and a half gallon tank the frog and Betta will be recieving. My Oscar is only three and a half inches and will be moved to, first, a ten gallon, then once he begins to get too large for that, a thirty-five gallon. Once he is moved there, I will begin looking for a larger aquarium for him. My fish are properly cared for and I'm thinking a Betta will be a good addition to the family. My mum won't be thrilled but she'll have to deal. I am looking for some basic information you think I should know about Bettas and I also want to see some pictures correctly labled for Male Betta's with the different species/tail shapes. I'm looking into either a crown-tail, double-tail, or veil-tail Male Betta. Once I feel my frog is large enough, he'll be moved into the tank, and then I will purchase my Betta. I know a good amount of information about fish and I'm excited about doing this. Tips and suggestions are welcome! You can PM me here, or more preferrably, e-mail me at GravityUndone@yahoo.com. Thank you everyone!
Emphasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #2 
dukie1346

Well, those kinds of frogs can get really big, it can get big enough to eat the betta! I suggest an African Dwarf frog, not a clawed one.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #3 
Emphasy

The frog's being sent to me for free. I plan on removing the fish if a problem occurs, and I aslo have a question about the water situation..
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4 
Emphasy

Grow-A-Frog African Clawed Frogs need Spring Water or tap water treated with de-chlorinators they sell. Will the Betta be okay in a filtered tank of Spring water? He'll have two filters and how am I supposed to feed them? Grow-A-frogs eat different food than Bettas..
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

African clawed frogs CAN live with fish, but only fish too large for them to swallow. Another member had an African clawed frog in with his/her betta and he/she caught the frog trying to eat the betta. It was caught just in time. I just read in my aquarium book that the water needs to be kept clean and free of ammonia The tank needs to be well filtered or will need to be given frequent water changes.Hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #6 
Emphasy

What type of fish do you all suggest for an African Clawed Frog friend? I'll probably still get a Betta, though. :D
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

They eat crickets, earthworms, fish and blackworms. I read that there are pellets formulated especially for them.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #8 
Emphasy

Will the frog eat feeder goldfish when he/she's big enough?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

My book says that they can co exist with any fish that is non aggressive and too large for them to swallow.Someone else will have to give you some more info. All I know is what I got out of my book.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

They probably would eat feeder goldfish that are small enough for them to swallow.